Girlfriend of 6 years breaks up with me but still wants to be friends?

we were best friends through out high school then finally we went out with each other. now 6 years later she breaks up with me and finds a new boyfriend within a week of time. she still talks to me like if we were good friends but only when she wants to (cuz when she's with the new boyfriend she ignores my calls or text half the time) we can't hang out or c each other because the other guy said so. my question is should I just be friends with her and be there for her even though she don't treat me like a friend? or is it better to just have no contact with her at all and not be friends.

well she contacts me all the time too... but good advice guys even though the harder choice is to cut all contact with her. it will be better in the end
i think all she really wants is to keep me as a friend because of the long history. and that she would feel like a part of her is missing if I'm completely out of her life. thanks for all the advice. so I guess the best choice is to cut contact for now.

26

Most Helpful Guy

• do not be friends until you're ready...shes in a rebound relationship, unless she;s been over you for some time now...you need to stop trying to contact her for your own good...this will just make it easier for you to get over her, this is your time to make yourself a better person and work on who you are...forget her, if she found a guy within a week she has no idea wtf she's doing and is confused OR like I said before she's been over you and potentially already been seeing this other guy...if you can stand to see her with this guy, kissing and flirting and all then you'll be OK to be friends, but until then its not a good idea...just stay away and do you, leave her out of your loop

• Well she knew this guy like 2 weeks b4 the break up lol so I was kinda expecting it already.

What Girls Said 2

• I, unlike some girls, cannot be friends with an ex. Especially after years and all the history that you two share together it would be hard to just be friends without any feelings between you two. Honestly if she moved on that quickly she probably lost interest in the relationship a long time ago. People grow and change and sometimes couples grow and change in different directions. It's completely your decision but you don't want to be her "plan b" since she know you love her and is still there as her "friend." What I don't like is if the shoe was on the other foot... she may not want to be your friend.

• honestly? She has no interest in you anymore.. if she contacts you at all its cos you guys were together for s long time & she's used to you.. but for your health.. don't talk to her anymore. :( I'm sorry, & good luck.

What Guys Said 5

• You should NEVER talk to this girl again. She just wants to keep you "around" for her convience until she has no further use for you. There will be no "friendship", the friendship ended when you two got together. She is just used to you being there and she tried to let you down easy. The "friends" card is to ease off of you slowly. Friends hang out, do things together, talk, and so on. So you already got your answer, it's just up to you to have the balls to not talk to her anymore. Even if she contacts you (she will sooner or later), ignore her. Move on, date other girls, have fun. Don't say ANYTHING to her and cut off all communications.

• Well I know how you feel , Best thing for you to do is move on. That's one thing people don't ever like to hear , but it is what it is. I ve been there no t too long ago. It was hard to come to that conclusion, but I wouldn't dwell on this for the ret of my life. Let her go with this new guy, have fun or whatever. Its only a matter of time till she calls you crying. As far as remaining friends I don't recommend that. you can be civil but not friends.It ll be best if you cut off communication for now

• Get out of that, dude. It's totally not healthy to be even be lingering around her at that condition. I mean, what sort of friend does not hang out with you? She's just keeping you around for the hell of it.

Do yourself a favor and move on! You don't deserve to be treated like that; my two cents.

• it's impossible. I went out with my ex for 3 years (again, through high school) and she broke it off and wanted to be friends too. They only say they want to be friends to "soften the blow" of the breakup. It's not possible, especially when I know you have feelings for her still.

As for her new boyfriend, he sounds like a douche and if she found him a week after breaking up with you, he's either a rebound or she's liked him at the same time as being with you, which makes her a b*tch.

Trust me, you're better off avoiding contact and making her see what she's missing out on.

• Some girls out there enjoy trampling over the self-esteem of guys when they see an open opportunity. Personally, in your situation, I would ask myself if maintaining contact with her would bring me any sort of tactical advantage in terms of getting more girls down the track. If it doesn't, then I don't see the point keeping in contact with what would be another dead-weight in your life. Good luck champ.