What should I do to break up with him and still be the best friends we have always been?

My boyfriend has been my best friend as long as I can remember. He's like prince charming and I would never do anything to hurt him. The problem is that I lost feelings for him and I still wanna be best friends with him but I'm afraid our friendship would be completely lost if I break up with him.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course he will be very upset, but if he is your really good friend he will understand (and may be even support your decision). Just please be honest with him about the reasons for your decision (Bitter Truth is better than Sweet lie! ), don't use "cliché" sentences "you don't deserve me", "you will find another girl", etc...please don't - it doesn't help... and give him some time to heal.. I don't know how much time, everyone is different, but I wouldn't suggest to contact him until he is in a new relationship...I think it can be a good sign that he finally moved on (although to be frank - it doesn't mean anything)...I think if you will be around him, while he is "healing" it will only hurt him more...So just agree on this also, so no one would expect calls/txts from anyone...can save a lot of frustration...

What Guys Said 2

• Let me tell you this. The friendship is already over because feelings got involved. Now since you don't have feelings for him anymore for whatever reason, you still want to keep him in your life like before? If he is a good boyfriend to you, he will not understand the break up, especially if things are going so great. The sudden break up is going to kill him emotionally. So you say you would never do anything to hurt him? Well you are going to hurt him down the road. Why? Because you will leave him, find someone else (probably within a couple of months), and expect him to give you blessings when he will still have feelings for you. Be aware that it's stuff like this why guys become jerks, because you are not attracted to good guys. You have to tell him what he did wrong in order for him to understand what not to do again. Even if he still wants to be "friends" with you it will tear him apart. He will still try to get close to you. That's why many people accept the downgrade of "friendship". Then when you push him away you will start going out with other guys that will mess around on you, treat you like crap, and you will run to him only when you have problems or for your convience. If you were REALLY a friend, you would help him find other girls like real friends would, but nooooooooooo. You just want to keep him in your life because you are used to him being there. So when you leave him, just tell him that you are breaking up because you can't handle a good man. That's the closest to the truth you are going to get. There is no way to let him down "easy", especially if you are his "first real love". Even if you will be "friends", it will still be complicated. And remember, when you get screwed by other guys out there, don't ever say the phrase, "why can't I find a good man out there?" or something remotely close to that.

• Won't happen. He's gonna be p*ssed. Not to say you won't be friends down the road, but you're not going to be friends when it happens. Especially if he's not expecting it or there's no good reason.

What Girls Said 2

• Break ups never end well and they leave the dumpee feeling like sh*t because you just broke his/her heart. You can say that you'll stay friends, but things will be different in the first few months following the break up. Maybe somewhere down the line, you two can make up and be friends again.

• not sure. but this is why I hate dating friends. when we break up which is inevitable, I lose my best friend and my boy friend. it doubly sucks