How do I know he really loved me?

So, me and my ex boyfriend broke up last week and I have been thinking to myself was he with me for sex, pitty, and simply he fact of just having someone there beside him. When we were dating our relationship was complicated. He would work 12 hours a day and I would go to work and attend college, so there were days that we wouldn't see each other. But later on in the relationship I found out that on his days off he would spent the day hanging out with his best friend. Which I get it he needs some time for himself,( him going out wasn't the problem) the problem was that sometimes we couldn't see each other for days even weeks, and he wouldn't even call me nor text me at all. His excuse was that he was working and couldn't call me nor text me. And when he has a day off he just want to sleep and be left alone. He had time to be with his best friend and go out and go to the bar but couldn't have time for his girlfriend. With his job and him also being in the military made it difficult. So Everytime I would see him I would get excited to finally spend a day with him but sometimes I believe the feeling wasn't mutual. When he I knew he had the day off, I would ask for the day off just to spend the day with him. Sometimes he would show up. Not everything was bad in our relationship. I mean there was times were we had the best times of our lives ( well at least me). I'm just wondering if he actually did love me like I loved him? Should I ask him? Or should I just leave it alone?
How do I know he really loved me?
Add Opinion