She never looks back.

I have a friend who I am pretty close with. I am really attracted to her and I think I have picked up signs of interest from her, but am not sure. One thing that puzzles me is that when we part she never looks back. In fact, I can only remember one occasion when I have ever seen her glance back at me, whereas I am always hopefully looking her way!

The thing that strikes me as odd about this is that other people do look back, or wave you off as you leave, at least some of the time, that is normal and her behavior is atypical, in my experience. It could just mean that I don't mean as much to her as it appears I do and the moment I leave her she forgets about me and gets on with life. However, it could mean that this is a forced behavior on her part in that she doesn't look back because she doesn't want to give away her interest.

I know this is a bit obscure but I am curious. What does everyone think?

20

What Girls Said 2

• "However, it could mean that this is a forced behavior on her part in that she doesn't look back because she doesn't want to give away her interest."

Uhhh, crap, I'm guilty of this. I have this thing where I don't like to show that I'm too attached to someone (whether it's a guy I like or a girl friend) so that if something doesn't work out, I won't be as hurt. Yeah, I know it's not good but it's a bad habit of mine. Hmm I never thought about it coming off as the other person not meaning much to me though.

• That is exactly what I think could be her reason. She doesn't find it easy to open up about anything and admits that things in her past have made her keep everything in (basically a partner who never listened to her and didn't value her opinions). I can see how if that is the case she would also have developed other defensive mechanisms to prevent being hurt. The trouble is, I don't know for sure that it isn't an explanation I have constructed because it is more palatable than the alternative!

• Yeah, that's interesting...

Maybe you two are just so close and comfortable with each other that she doesn't have to worry about when she will see you next, that is why she doesn't look back. Or, that is just how she is... you could try to figure out if she will look back if she is parting with her girl friends. If she doesn't look back when she says bye to her girl friends, it is only natural she doesn't look back when she says bye to you.

What Guys Said 0