How would a divorce between parents affect their child's future love life?

Updates:
I'm asking because my parents divorced when I was 10. I wanna see how it would affect other victims of divorce.

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it leads children to take marriage as less of a commitment. Monkey see monkey do. Children develop their morals from their parents. Although divorce is sometimes necessary, most of the time, people divorce bc they’re too lazy to make it work. This laziness will develop to the children and so on and so forth.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not going to lie it's tough. i went through it and so did my kids

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• We grow up learning from our parents. A LOT. The way you deal with the divorce will have a direct impact on the child.

If it's all yelling and hate-filled arguing, first of all, the child will absorb that violence like a sponge.

If you talk about it with the kid, tell him in ways he can understand, make proper decisions and arrangements so that he isn't affected by your divorce.

Afterall, it's YOUR divorce, not your childs.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think it depends both on the age of the child and why the parents divorced. i mean i don’t think it’s gonna impact every child in the same way, it might affect one more than another. also can affect them in more ways than just their love lives. i have friends whose parents’ divorces hurt them a lot when they happened and still now, and ones that say their parents’ divorce was the best thing that could happen for their family. so it really just depends, each person and situation is different

0|0
    0|0
  • Trust issues typically come up. Intimacy problems too. And some lash out at the opposite sex and relationships/are bitter. Like for us single people who go to mall on Valentine's Day. Except they get that every day looking at every other set of parents and couples that worked out.
    Most people I met who dealt with divorce had broken homes and had a lot of pain in their lives because of it. But it is worse sometimes, to stay together. It should be taken very seriously.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents werent divorced for years until this year. I wished they would establish a legal divorce earlier as it is difficult to stay under a roof with someone who is not contributing & bring in more financial issues (almost lose our house for 3rd time). Divorce won't affect a child's future love life but seeing what had caused the divorce would.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how messy it is, if they can handle it civilly, like adults and keep the gruesome details to themselves, it's likely going to be fine. If it's messy, full of fighting, you try to fill your kids' heads with shit about each other, they'll end up like me, avoiding love so hard that it took a man literally chasing after me until I finally gave in to realize not all relationships are doomed to fail.

0|0
    0|0
  • Coming from a set of divorced parents, my mom was gone and I had to chase her stay in my life. I grew up feeling really broken, and as an adult, I can say it does affect me. I always feel like people are going to leave and it makes it hard for me to show my emotions. To open up to people and that's just the top of the list. So divorces do affect the kids.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents separated when I was 9 and my mom came out to me as a lesbian at 10, i havnt found that it effects my love life at all, i am very happily married

1|0
    0|0
  • so my parents were a great couple and no physical abuse as far as I am concerned. It made me question the true value of marriage. It also made me more determined to find someone who I can truly be with for the rest of my life and deal with ups and downs. Depends really on the state of the situation before the divorce that would determine how it could affect children’s love life.

0|0
    0|0
  • It never affects if only u use ur child as holy witness while damaging urself. Other than that the chance is being an open minded... taking more care mentally might help.

0|0
    0|0
  • Child may develop lack of trust/ commitment phobia in their future relationships.
    Child may develop untapped anger and resentment.
    Child may become socially withdrawn/ aloof.

0|0
    0|0
  • they would think that their future will be in the line for divorce since it happened to their parents

0|0
    1|0
  • It can affect their studies and life really bad. Kids just want their parents together thats all.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends how bad the split was and how the parents' relationship is afterwards.

0|0
    0|1
  • Everything would be split.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents divorced and I'm glad they did.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn’t affect them

0|0
    0|0
  • They dont get complete family as others

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends... for me, I don’t think love is real... my mum divorced when I was little and remarried but the guy is... difficult to deal with... they are looking at divorce, tbh... this is why I don't know of love is actually real... I think it is an illusion that some people believe... like the matrix... 🤷‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend is divorced and remarried parents.
    I can’t really say much but he seems really bummed out about it even now sometimes. He would rather have then together from what I can tell. But he said he wouldn’t ever want to be like his parents and make decisions they made. He’s also had other health issues because of it apperantly

0|0
    0|0
  • it could affect it, but it depends on how the relationship was before the divorce. i wish my mom would’ve divorced my dad after the first time he abused me. i probably wouldn’t be so hurt if she left him.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• Long sob story aside, I'm a child of a divorcee and while I still believe in love and commitment, I'm intrinsically more wary and watchful and clingy. Having seen the "signs of trouble", I do tend to subconsciously spot them, etc etc. It does affect me and I try to stop it but I guess it's a little tough... not sure how much easier or harder life would be if things went another way so I'm content with what I have now

0|0
    0|0
  • there's numerous studies on this topic. You're not gonna like what you find.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can affect it

0|0
    0|0
  • It shows them that's love is a lie

0|0
    0|0
  • Love life not much socail life very much

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes