When is too soon to talk after a break-up?

My ex ended our relationship on Monday because he has issues of his own that he felt he needed to work out solo. We have decided to remain friends because we do care for one another. It was just lousy timing.

My question is how long should one wait before pulling out the friend card? I miss him but I don't want to push it too soon..

20

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on how long and serious the relationship was. Some people say take the total time of the relationship (ie, 1 year together), and divide that in half (no contact for 6 months). But really, it's different for everybody. The more attached you are to him, the longer you will need to get over him. Jumping right to the "friends" phase is... well, let's be honest, you don't really want to be friends, do you? It'd only be as an excuse to stay in his life and it would only hurt you to see him out with other girls, moving on. Cut all contact. Go live your own life. It's hard as hell, but it's even harder having to watch someone you love move on when you haven't.

And beware. Even 6 months sometimes isn't long enough. I got into contact with my ex after that long and all my old feelings immediately came flooding back, which set me back to day 1 after the breakup. Let's just say this- when you no longer give a crap about him or what he's doing, it's probably an okay time to re-open communication.

• I'm almost two months into a breakup and love him... he told me he didn't love me. If you still have feelings for him, you should wait.You'll only miss him more but having him in your life and not being able to have him will kill you.