Why do you think divorce rates have skyrocketed over time?

Why is it that the percentage of failed marriage is so high in this day and age? Is it because sexuality is so much more openly accepted? Or because people get married too easily? Or other reasons?

519

Most Helpful Guy

• I think because people use marriage in the wrong way and often aren't careful enough in getting to know the person because the relationship makes them feel good at that point. Some people get married for reasons like saving the relationship or because it's the natural next step to dating. It's like people think once you're married everything will be sunshine and rainbows and happy all the time, so in their minds they just have to make the relationship work till they say their vows. The worst thing, I think, is when people use marriage as a social status thing, how many people were at your wedding? How big is the ring? It gets turned into a competition, like who has the biggest house. And it's all stupid and shallow, all marriage is is a change in titles, it's meant to signify when you have managed to work your relationship to a point where you're both certain you can make it work.

• That said I don't care for marriage, it's lost all value to me and I doubt I will ever want to get married. I do want a life long commited relationship with someone, but marriage is a social construct that I don't find particularly useful or necessary. It changes your titles from boyfriend and girlfriend to husband and wife, and gives you a piece of paper that reassures you it's something special. I'd rather find a better way of showing my love and dedication, just going with the tradition that has been smeared to the point of having no meaning? How can you call a promise meaningful if there is statistically a 50% chance it's a lie?

Most Helpful Girl

• In the past, divorce wasn't accepted in society and people would rather stay in unhappy relationships than to risk looking bad.
    Now, just because your married the wrong person, it doesn't mean your life is over.