Why do you think divorce rates have skyrocketed over time?

Why is it that the percentage of failed marriage is so high in this day and age? Is it because sexuality is so much more openly accepted? Or because people get married too easily? Or other reasons?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think because people use marriage in the wrong way and often aren't careful enough in getting to know the person because the relationship makes them feel good at that point. Some people get married for reasons like saving the relationship or because it's the natural next step to dating. It's like people think once you're married everything will be sunshine and rainbows and happy all the time, so in their minds they just have to make the relationship work till they say their vows. The worst thing, I think, is when people use marriage as a social status thing, how many people were at your wedding? How big is the ring? It gets turned into a competition, like who has the biggest house. And it's all stupid and shallow, all marriage is is a change in titles, it's meant to signify when you have managed to work your relationship to a point where you're both certain you can make it work.

2|0
    0|0
    • That said I don't care for marriage, it's lost all value to me and I doubt I will ever want to get married. I do want a life long commited relationship with someone, but marriage is a social construct that I don't find particularly useful or necessary. It changes your titles from boyfriend and girlfriend to husband and wife, and gives you a piece of paper that reassures you it's something special. I'd rather find a better way of showing my love and dedication, just going with the tradition that has been smeared to the point of having no meaning? How can you call a promise meaningful if there is statistically a 50% chance it's a lie?

Most Helpful Girl

• In the past, divorce wasn't accepted in society and people would rather stay in unhappy relationships than to risk looking bad.
    Now, just because your married the wrong person, it doesn't mean your life is over.

2|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• It's a wide variety of things. However, I'm not quite so sure it has to do with sexuality since divorce rates peaked in the late 1960's and are actually lower now. Considering people are probably more open to various sexual things these days than they were back then, sexuality probably isn't the issue.

1|0
    0|0
  • Any consenting adults can get married. Just because they consent doesn't meant they're fully prepared to devote their lives to their partners. A lot of people get married too soon. They don't know enough about who they are with and it just ends up bombing as a result.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people get married young and early, and also with the age of the internet, people are realizing that they don't have to put up with sacrificing their own needs and desires, so when someone is unhappy they do something about it instead of dealing with it like they did back in the day

2|0
    0|0
  • Because marriage is cheap and easy. You can try it, and if you don't like it, you can get out and try again. 'Til death do us part' are just empty words now. To previous generations, they were a lifelong promise and commitment.

1|0
    0|0
  • A lot of factors. Individualism, consumerism behaviors, a hyper competitive market capitalism, the downgrade of the family as a valuable or necessary social contract, hedonism, religious fanaticism, increase of the means of communication, human stupidities and so on.

1|0
    0|0
  • It has nothing to do with sexuality. It has to do with 2 staples of American culture

1. The emphasis on personal independence

2. The belief that you can have it all, and that YOUR HAPPINESS is the most important thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because people don't understand some vary simple things before marriage from this app alone if seen a crazy amount of people that just rush into marriage what are u doing getting married the same year u meet a person that's crazy

1|0
    0|1
    • Plus too many people think that getting married ensures that love is real whist there relationship is still based on lust

• People don't think it's as important as they used to. A lot of people think it's no big deal to divorce, since they can always get married to someone else.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think maybe because it is so easy and kinda the norm now.

2|0
    0|0
  • because nobody wants to work hard in their relationship, and most people dont care about hurting their partner, by cheating on them

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. As women find new freedom the home is less sacred.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because people today are selfish and only think about themselves and I believe social media has a lot to do with it to be honest with ya

1|0
    0|0
  • All of the above

1|0
    0|0
  • Because people can get divorced,, so they do.

1|0
    0|0
  • Merely because it's so very easy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Expectations

1|0
    0|0
  • Selfishness, and a lack of moral character...

1|0
    0|0
  • Times have changed. Isn’t the 50s anymore where the female stayed home and cooked and raised the kids, waited on them, weren’t allowed to have opinions, etc. Today more people think they’ve found the one or sometimes settle more now for fear of being lonely forever? Both partners have their own lives, independent, careers, etc. it’s much harder to always jive together, stresses, children and their activities, etc today. It’s easier for people to give up.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Social media, access to ex's, potential new partners. Some people just aren't willing to work on a relationship and always think the grass is greener.. social media lets them see what they think is better and the draw it too much for some.

1|0
    0|0
  • People don't have a real need to stay together anymore, and also people don't marry for love much nowadays. Marriage was sacred back then, not so much now.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because as years go by, people are becoming more and more sexually permiscuous. Also, a lot of people rush into marriage way too quickly

1|0
    0|0
  • Because, people don't commit genuinely.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes