My ex had the worst day! I broke up with him and his mother died all on the same day! How can I help him?

yesterday my ex's mum died, i wouldn't usually be asking for advice but she died yesterday and i broke up with him the same day!!! i didn't know she died untill i checked my facebook and he had put up a big memorial message for her! but the worst part is, when i met up with him i had work an hour later! so when he told me he had to tell me something i asked him if it could wait! so yeah i broke up with him he didn't take it well!! he wouldn't let go of my hand he begged me not to go! but he didn't mention his mum! he was there for me when my dad died last year! and i needed him then! i broke up with him because i felt that i needed to explore they word a bit and live a single life! i know i should do whats right for me first and foremost but i can't imagine how he feels right now when he needee me most and after he helped me, he's at his mothers house which makes it worse! i wish i could take the break up back and be there for him! would it be okay if i went to comfort him!! can i have some advice on how to help him through! i know people will say dont give false hope but its not false hope because i might get back together with him in the future! but yeah i feel awful and he doesn't deserve this!
20
4