Do you believe the saying "once a cheater always a cheater"?

About 4 weeks ago my boyfriend told me he cheated on me with his ex girlfriend. He told me he regrets it and hoped we could move past it. I broke up with him but over the past few weeks have kept contact. He begs my forgiveness and swears up and down he loves me and he has made a huge mistake that will never happen again and that I'm the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with.
We have spent many nights crying and holding each other and discussing how we feel.
I've considered trying to get back together because I truly love him and he has really shown me he feels guilty and regrets his mistake, but I'm scared, I dont want to be hurt like this again, and I know it will take time to trust him again, what is your opinion on someone who has cheated? Do you believe the saying "once a cheater always a cheater?" He may feel terrible about it now but will he in a year down the road when it's not so fresh and the opportunity arises again?
3
2