My boyfriend broke up with me through text! WTF?

About two weeks ago, I got a text from my now ex boyfriend telling me that he no longer feels like playing along with this relationship and that he doesn't want to waste his or my time anymore. Needless to say I am heartbroken and was really shocked. We hadn't been having any type of issue until 3 days before this text he had said something else similar but we had talked it out and he said he loves me more than anything and wants to "fight for us." I truly have nothing bad to say about him other than the way he handled breaking up with me was immature and selfish. It was uncharacteristic of him and I am still confused to this day about how he could be so cruel. Fast forward a week later i told him I deserve an in person conversation due to the fact I wasn't given the opportunity to say my peace. Long story short I told him basically I thought that he was selfish and immature and clearly didn't think anything of me if he could treat me so poorly.

Now here's the kicker. Eventually during this conversation we agreed that he needs to grow up and work on himself, he is a 25 year old bus boy struggling to finish his degree, and I am 22 and graduating with my nursing degree in May. He has never had a serious relationship before and we were approaching our 1 year anniversary. I want people's opinions because I am so confused, I know I shouldn't love him but I do. I know he is a great person and at the end of our conversation he told me that I am an amazing and sweet person and he hopes to be the man I deserve some day. He also made some strange remarks saying I could be too good for him. Guys, do you think this is all bullshit, will he ever actually care about me the way I care about him? He just kept telling me he loves me and maybe it will work out in the future, I told him I cannot wait for him, and now it seems like it is so easy for him to move on with life and I am stuck here struggling. Is it possible he is scared of love?
2
2