Why does my ex try to downplay the cheating?

My ex cheated on me. I found out 2 months ago. I still am not over it because it hurts a lot. Also, the way my ex handled it was really hurtful. I found out by snooping. He told me he cheated because i made him miserable/ because i was toxic/ because i didn’t trust him. Even though trust was broken down when i saw he had updated tinder and he told me he did it because he was being stupid/did it for fun. He called me crazy for snooping and blocked me for 2 weeks. Then he sent a very superficial apology. We went on for 2 more months on and off trying to fix it but we couldn’t. I really wasn’t over it and told him i needed time and his help. Anyways. He made me feel badly saying “clearly you will never get over this.” And told me that i was evil and became a monster (he really hurt me and I said some really mean things for a while). I am not sure why he switches the blame and acts like the victim. I am really hurt and he’s like confused why I became so cold and angry. He is annoyed when I still ask questions about the infidelity and gets mad he repeats the same answers. He gets defensive about it. He just tries to downplay the whole thing and gets mad when I ask about it. Some questions he says “why does that matter”. But it does matter. I want to know the extent of the cheating. Maybe some info will hurt me. But i should get the say in that. It just really frustrates me that he calls me a hateful and spiteful person, when of course i am. He hurt me, lied to me, manipulated me and betrayed me. And he always switches it on me and makes me out to be the bad person. That he wasn’t toxic and i was the only one. That his cheating shouldn’t be deemed worse than anything I’ve ever done.
Why does my ex try to downplay the cheating?
Add Opinion