Do women actually push men they love away when things get serious because it scares them?

My ex and I got in a fight weeks ago that led to us breaking up. After the fight my efforts to rekindle the relationship just didn't work she waa cold and distant before finally breaking the news through a text. I was only with her for 3 months then she says "I love you " and I believed it. She seemed to absolutely adore everything about me. It was real at one point at least. Hell even the night before the fight everything was "I love you so much cuddle me kiss me etc..." Every woman I've talked to has told me many women who have been hurt in the past push men away when they start to get closer to him. They realize they're vulnerable and so they push him away because they don't want to get hurt. They're scared he will hurt them in the end. To me this honestly just kinda sounds like bullshit.
19
10