I feel stupid for telling my ex girlfriend how I really felt about her?

A girl I was dating for a good couple of months recently broke it off. She made promises to me in the beginning how we would end up together and that she never felt so strong for a guy like she did for me. She made me feel so special. But once the honeymoon phased seemed to end, she became cold and distant. I kept putting my heart on line and tried to give her space at the same time, but it was hurting too much for me to continue. We mutually agreed to go our separate ways. I did not want to leave, but she pretty much forced my hand. She said I was too nice and caring and that pushed her away, where in the beginning, that's what she said she loved about me. She said things to me that made me feel so special, but by the end it was a complete 180. She always said she was scared how I made her feel though, which could by why but I'm not sure.

After a month of straight no contact with her, I had my answer. If she really wanted something, I would've heard from her. I decided to write out a letter for my own closure. Let me be clear, it was no attempt to "win her back" or anything. This was something I had to get off of my chest so I could move on. I could not bottle it up any longer. I was falling in love for this girl, I can't explain it. I've dated many but I've never felt this for a girl before... At the end of the letter, I told her she was the first girl I actually fell in love with, and that deep down, a part of me will always love her.

She responded with a text a few days later after the letter was delivered saying "I have no hard feelings towards you and I only wish for you to be happy as well".

My question is this... I feel stupid for saying that. She said she was always "scared" of love, but I couldn't hide mine just because she was scared. Either way, I know what I felt and I had to say it. She told me at one point when we were dating that she was falling in love with me though... Was it dumb for me to say what I honestly felt?
2
2