Involved with a unhappily Married Man figuring out how to leave marriage?

He’s known her 8 years, married less than 4. Friends but not more than that, she lives in another state 3/4 of the month for work and he’s ok with it. I pet sit for him and we started talking, then led to something more. One physical interaction 3 weeks ago. I’m separated and getting divorced soon. He felt guilt for diving too deep in the wrong order as he wants to be out of what he’s in before starting with me. He wants to be friends and still stay connected while he figures it out. He said this today... “I'm working to find balance to find the answers I need to find and if I keep myself open to the idea of clandestine or delayed situation, it will cloud that process for me. I am still fine being friends, as I’ve said, but I can't be more than that for now.“

I know no one will believe, he’s a very caring person. Doesn’t want to be each other’s pulls from our marriages but to be doing this all for right reasons with no second guessing. Feels horrible for putting me in any pain but doesn’t want to lose me in the process.
1 y
My question is what’s the opinion on what he said? Sound legit?
2
1