Can you be best friends with someone you’ve broken out of a relationship with?

I had a best friend, soulmate if other’s like to say. We got together and after some hard things we decided it would be better to stay apart. We didn’t want to give up on our friendship, though. It took me 9 months to fall out of love directed towards him. However, i feel like i can be no longer as open with him as i would be back in the days, we still laugh, we still share adventures but i feel like i don’t consider him my best friend anymore. As if the emotional independence i gained after those 9 months changed my interest to hear his opinions, hangout with him. He’s just a friend. And it kind of bothers me to know that i have no one THAT close anymore.
What about you guys? Could you truly go on with the same friendship u had had before breaking up?

95

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. I'm best friends with an ex. We still joke arround and talk sa ton... we both loved each other, we just needed different things in our lives as people. We talked about it and accepted that. Yeah it was tough but she is my best friend now so. It was better then trying to force a relationship

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't recommend that. It will keep bringing back old feelings. It's like scratching a wound. And it's also confusing for both of you. And being friends mean talking about your relationships and i can't handle hearing about his new girlfriend. I'd die from sadness