Can you be best friends with someone you’ve broken out of a relationship with?

I had a best friend, soulmate if other’s like to say. We got together and after some hard things we decided it would be better to stay apart. We didn’t want to give up on our friendship, though. It took me 9 months to fall out of love directed towards him. However, i feel like i can be no longer as open with him as i would be back in the days, we still laugh, we still share adventures but i feel like i don’t consider him my best friend anymore. As if the emotional independence i gained after those 9 months changed my interest to hear his opinions, hangout with him. He’s just a friend. And it kind of bothers me to know that i have no one THAT close anymore.
What about you guys? Could you truly go on with the same friendship u had had before breaking up?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. I'm best friends with an ex. We still joke arround and talk sa ton... we both loved each other, we just needed different things in our lives as people. We talked about it and accepted that. Yeah it was tough but she is my best friend now so. It was better then trying to force a relationship

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't recommend that. It will keep bringing back old feelings. It's like scratching a wound. And it's also confusing for both of you. And being friends mean talking about your relationships and i can't handle hearing about his new girlfriend. I'd die from sadness

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

What Girls Said 8

• I Think no, One of both will ever have Feelings for the other One, you can't live forever like that if once you loved each other , there will be jealously sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • no I'm going through the same thing and he just isn't as responsive now so unless you or him talk about it directly on how you feel then it's just going to feel wiered untill something happens and you can't just do that unless you want to be in a tight spot forever also get to know other people it's always good to get out there and meet people even if your socialy awkward lol like me but that way you can have a best freind or if you still want to stay friends with that's all fine and dandy but just be warry if he doesn't really want to

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes , because I think break up is not a war , so we can continue to be friends

0|0
    0|0
  • No 😕 same thing happened to me

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely.

0|0
    0|0
  • there's such thing as being friends with the past.

0|0
    0|0
  • Much better than him trying to get you to have sex with him, then say he was drunk and it was a mistake and shit like that. Been there done that. If you have both moved on you have just disarmed a future bomb right there. Been there done that and he was the closest person i had. Now he is not even talking to me cause HE did not know what he really wanted and i was not gonna fk around with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I got closer to my ex after 8 months of dating and then breaking up... But he broke up because he was planning on dying, he didn't thankfully but yea. It is possible depending on the reason you broke up

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes