I don't know what to do about a summer romance that turned upside down and I need real advice to get me through it, opinions?

So I recently just got out of this relationship with a guy I was seeing for a couple of months, we were perfectly happy and then he broke up with me... It all began with my friend receiving a note from this guy (in high school) and to sum it up it said that he really wanted to get to know me, so that following day I ended up getting his SnapChat and then I messaged him so I could get to know him better in which we did. The next following day we ended up going bowling together and then the next we went to the beach, never in my life have I ever had butterflies in stomach about someone, I have been in a few relationships however I never felt this way about someone... he even felt the same way too. We started to see each other a lot more, after school or even in school hours and he started to call me afterwards too, he started saying I love you to me a lot and I ended up saying it back and then he told me about a situation where a couple of girls asked if he was single and his answer was no... So he ended up asking me to be his girlfriend. We were perfectly happy as a couple and we always seemed to surprise each other however just as I stated in the first paragraph we broke up, he told me to meet him after the gym after school to tell me something, he had been experiencing a lot of family problems and a bit from his ex girlfriend, he told me he wanted to go on a break because he didn't think we worked as a couple. Him being an introvert and me being an extrovert even though I ain't one I'm just a talkative person, anyways, and the one thing he said which still doesn't make sense to me whatsoever is he said he can't tell me the main reason because he just can't and that I needed to understand that for which I didn't. We did talk a couple days later about it however he still kept saying the same thing, this was all out of the blue and there were no indication before the break up that he wanted to. I don't know what to do and we haven't talked properly ever since. Advice?
2
1