What would you do if you have to break up with someone you love for "external" reasons (ex. family/culture, excessive distance, religion...)?

• You keep in touch with them as friends
    Vote A
  • You don't want to keep in touch
    Vote B
  • You erase them from your life
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You never know when you're going to get nasty with her

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I kissed my love good bye so he went to USA with an scholarship. and we eneded an 1.5 year relationship for that. It was so sad. And we split on good terms. Fight is better it will give you a closure. I had a horrible two years after he went i couldn't make myself date any body

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yeah I’m in a similar situation, but I would like us to remain friends and he doesn’t, and I don’t get it...

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• I wouldn't keep in touch

0|0
    0|0
    • WHAT do you mean?

• i will cut all comunication forever because it's the only way to forget about them

• HAHA ops I replied to the wrong comment 😂 I had indeed understood what you meant

What Girls Said 6

• It’s hard to fall in love with someone and then be just friends. That’s just not very possible for me

1|0
    0|0
    • So you would rather just pretend they don’t exist anymore? I’m trying to understand, because my ex is behaving as if we had a terrible, very conflicutual break up, he doesn’t talk to me, I tried to contact him a few times (like 3-4 over 6 months, so not harassing him) to hear how he was but he was a bit aggressive and eventually blocked my number

• No no. I wouldn’t act like they never existed either. I’m not sure what your ex is trying to do here, maybe he moved on and doesn’t want you in his life unfortunately. But if I loved that person then I would gladly ask how they were and answer their questions etc., but I wouldn’t keep in touch in the sense of being friends and telling each other about our daily lives

• Let me tell you a story: my great grandma, let's just call her X, was from our dominant ethnic group, also a Christian. Her husband, my great grandpa, Y, was from a Muslim minority. His family members wanted to preserve their identity and traditions so much that they really crushed their marriage, leaving a newborn baby and a toddler without a mother. She was later married off by her father and had another 5 children. Y also got married. After some 50 years it became evident that both of them still loved each other. X was even trying never to get pregnant by her second husband but failed. Their son, my grandpa, developed abandonment issues, which resulted in his harsh and jealous character that ultimately led my uncle, his son, become a drug addict. All of the generations divorced.
    Now... see what external breakup caused in three generations the least? Maybe even four generations, who knows...
    Do not break up with your love because of external reasons. Don't!

0|1
    0|0
  • No you make it work despite the odds but if it flops because of him then you can walk away knowing you're not the one who gave up and that you did all you could. That way it hurts less

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep in touch, befriend with your ex

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't keep in touch

0|0
    0|0
  • Religion you knew about before you fell in love so you knew what you were getting into.
    Distance you can work on if you truly love each other
    Family is important but in (some) cultures you decide who you marry

0|0
    0|0
    • Mhm well I’m my case it’s distance, and yes I thought we would have found a solution and was ready to do stuff for it, but he had to move literally to the opposite side of the world and none of us is making enough money to travel or has enough days of leave to see each orher for a decent amount of time. In theory I was ready to move, but in practice it meant not working because with my degree I have 0 chances to find a job there. So no there weren’t that many possibilities...

Recommended myTakes