Moving in with a girlfriend?

I have been with my girlfriend for a year and a half now. We have a good relationship and no real problems exist. We both currently live at home. She said she wants to move out soon and so do I. A friend of mine owns a building and offered me an apartment for real cheap. I couldn't pass this up so I agreed to move in. I thought my girlfriend would be on the same page. She has family problems at home and is always looking to get away from her house and she is always saying she wants to move out. Now that I am moving out I offered her the chance to move in with me. I know it is a big step in a relationship but I feel we are ready. She says she wants to save up money and eventually she will move in. I don't know if she is just saying she wants to eventually move in or is she making an excuse to not move in?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, first off, if you agreed to move into the apartment based on the idea that she would be moving in with you, that's probably a bad idea. That's something that you need to have a conversation with her about beforehand.

No one here can know if she does or doesn't want to move in with you. Maybe she would consider it, but she feels that this was sprung on her too quickly or without you talking to her about it beforehand. Maybe she wants to move out, but isn't ready to move in with you. Maybe she has financial obligations that she won't be able to afford if she moves out of her parents' home. Or maybe she wants to make sure she'll be able to pay her share of the bills before she moves in with you because she doesn't want to be dependent.

The only way to know for sure is to talk to her. Ask her what her concerns are and what she is saving money for.

What Girls Said 3

• If I was in her shoes, I would feel the same way. Especially if she doesn't have a job. If you want to move out, that means you also want to be able to take care of yourself. I would trust her that she really does just want to be secure and safe, since moving out really is such a big step.

-advice from someone who moved in with their boyfriend 5 months ago.

• Sounds like she just eventually wants to move in when she gets money.lol. A year and 1/2 is plenty of time for you to to know if you guys are ready to move in with each other. And its a great way to learn more about each other.

• Only time will tell.

What Guys Said 1

• Do you know the reason for her saving up the money? Have there been any recent financial obligations that she would have to take care of? It's perfectly reasonable to think that she may just be giving an excuse, but you should not jump to any conclusions yet. You could tell her that she should not feel pressured or anything about your offer--her response to that will provide greater insight. If she says that she really is just saving money, I'd believe her at that point.