Have you ever ended a relationship because your partner was putting more into it than you were?

My ex girlfriend ended our relationship because she felt it wasn't fair that I was giving more than she could at the time. She was trying to juggle work, family, friends, and a couple personal issues, so I had no problem putting more into it than she could, because in my opinion a relationship isn't always going to be 50/50. She said she still loved me, but she just couldn't handle the relationship right now. Did she do me a favor? Is this a legitimate reason to end a relationship? This was a couple months ago, and she's still single. We talk occasionally, and she's expressed that she misses me (which I wanted to reply with "well why did you wanna break up then?") and I miss her too, but we both agree that we can't be "just friends."

87

Most Helpful Girl

• I once ended a relationship with a guy I love very much because I wasn’t mentally in the best state and he was putting so much into the relationship that I felt I couldn’t return at the time. I didn’t want it to turn into a toxic relationship and wanted to be able to give back all that he was giving to me, but I also felt it wasn’t fair to only take “a break” as I didn’t know how long it would take me to get better and I didn’t want him to have to wait. I felt guilty keeping him from experiences that I couldn’t give him at the time, so yeah. I think it can be a legitimate reason to end a relationship, but I suppose I’m a bit biased as I’ve been the one to do it. But we did end up getting back together and things went amazing for us

• I guess it's just tough to look at it as "she broke up with me cause she had my best interest", because obviously I feel like I'm the one who got hurt

• I think it would’ve made everything a lot harder on her if you had done that right after she broke up with you. I saw my guy getting teary-eyed and it killed me... But I really think you handled it well and, if you wanted to, it probably wouldn’t be bad to pour your heart out to her now about how you feel about her and how you wish you could’ve stayed together and such. It may still be too soon for her, but it may also make her feel good to know you still love her (if she truly loves you and only wanted what was best for you). I dunno though. I’m really just speaking from what would’ve worked well for me

• I've wanted to tell her, but I also don't want to come off as desperate. As a man, I think appearing desperate is one of the most unattractive things you can do, and it would only confirm that she made the right choice. Haha at least that's how I see it given that she's repeatedly said I "did nothing wrong", but maybe my perspective is skewed?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think one person putting in more than the other is necessarily a reason to break up. However, having a lot of other things going on and wanting to focus on those is legitimate, sometimes not seeing someone enough adds more stress and complication than not seeing them at all.

• I see what you're saying, it basically eliminates what may feel like an obligation