If someone avoids dating due to long distance, is it really because there not interested?

Is it an excuse? Is it really because you don’t like them enough?

Or is it because you know it just won’t work for whatever reason at this point, even though you like them?

im mostly interested in answers from those with experience...
Thanks!

723

Most Helpful Guy

• Could be because the person knows that there is a chance someone else could come into their lives or the other persons. Also people change over time and possibly over long distance relationship. They could like you and know that someone better could come into your life with in the time you are in a long distance relationship.

• I agree, it makes sense. Id day that also means they weren’t really into the person too much to begin with though.

• Doesn’t everyone feel like that though, and always rate themselves lower than what they are. It is true, you do need to find a good one first who loves you for who you really are though and not all of that other stuff.

• Yeah that is true. I may change my mind about it when we hang out, but I will kinda keep that thought in my head.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in a long distance relationship and it FUCKING SUUUUUUUUCKS! But I love him. 🤷‍♀️
    So I'd rather have a long distance relationship with someone I love than have relationships with other guys that I just kind of like and that I'll get bored with in a few months or even just a few weeks time. I know this because I've been in this long distance relationship on and off or a looooong time and I've experienced it.
    It's hard. Really hard and I've broken up with him a few times because it's so hard.
    It's not the sex part, which is pretty important to me but I can deal with that, but it definitely has to do with the physical. Sometimes I have a shitty day and all I want is to be able to be with him and have him rub my head and tell me how much he loves me and that everything will be ok. But because it's long distance it's obviously not possible to have that. When you're in a relationship with someone you love it's like no matter what happens to one you're both going to take it on. When it's long distance, it does impact the other but you don't really have the same sense of "you and me against the world", at least I don't feel that way and that's a bit tough for me.
    There's also the issue of trust, if you're wondering what he's doing and he lives a few miles away from you there's no way you're going to work when you're not sure what he's doing and he lives halfway across the country. I trust him. I know he won't do something to hurt me and he knows I won't do something that will hurt him. You have to have that trust and faith in them, without it you might as well save yourself the heartache and hard times and just call it quits now.

I think it's very possible that they're not wanting to get into a long distance relationship just because it's a long distance relationship and I'd have to guess the success rate is pretty low, I don't know for sure though.
    It's pretty hard to guess why he might not want a LDR it very well could be that he's not interested in you, could be that he's not THAT interested in you and a LDR will likely just end in a loss or it could just be that he wants nothing to do with a LDR. Some people will just say flat out no to LDRs no matter what.

• Yeah I suppose negative experiences of it are related to s negative outlook. So you’re right, it could well be either I suppose.

• It's just really difficult to say. I mean chances are he knows at least one person thats in a LDR and the toll it can take or was in a LDR and it failed miserably. Then you get the people saying how awful they are. It's just tough to overcome even if he hasn't personally experienced it.
      It's not all bad though. You definitely connect more because you have no other options than to communicate, sex isn't getting in the way and clouding your judgement.
      It's just really hard going from normal relationships where you have the other person there to a relationship with your phone really.
      If it's with the right person though, it's still tough don't get me wrong but it's absolutely worth it.