After trying to get over our bad breakup and be civil again, my ex got extremely butthurt when I didn't offer him a place to stay at, why?

Our breakup was BAD and we hadn't seen each other for a year. He had been trying to indirectly contact me and make social media posts directed at me etc. But he hurt me so bad that I felt no need to talk to him. After some time we tried to fix things between us. Not to get back together but to be civil again cause we still share all the same friends etc. And I thought that was going fine, we were starting to be okay again. Not calling each other or anything but not hating each other either.

So one day he had an accident in his house and found out it had to be renovated. So while the work is done he'd need to stay somewhere else. Apparently he was thinking he might come to my place and sleep here (same bed) and was trying to get me to ask him to stay with me while the renovation is done. I didn't. I didn't feel that'd be okay. I just told him I'm very sorry for what happened and I hope it'll all work out fine. He got soooo hurt and annoyed. He tried to emotionally hurt me for not offering a place to him (I know he has plenty of other places, friends, his parents live in the same town, and as much as I know he's supposed to be dating someone new so ask her not me?). I backed off again, I don't need that kinda behavior in my life. I'm guessing he's hurt and went all crazy because of that but why is he so angry and hurt if he's the one that wants us to be able to be friends again and is dating someone new while I'm not?
2
0