Is it for the best to let go of someone you truly love? Did they ever come back?

I'm having a hard time letting go of my ex girlfriend. She's a sweet, caring girl, the type I've always wanted. But she's just not in a place where she feels she can handle a relationship. She has some issues-- insecurities both physically and emotionally, overcoming an addiction to opiates, a toxic relationship that lasted several years, and just a general lack of self-love. Add all of that to the fact that she is 30, has no idea what she wants to do as a career and recently relocated to escape her ex and get a fresh start to combat her addiction. She told me I did absolutely nothing wrong, and insists I couldn't have treated her better. It kills me to let her go, because I don't see the flaws, I only see the sweet, caring girl with big brown eyes that I fell in love with. I know she's right, that she does have some bigger issues to focus on, but I wanted to be there to help her through it. I'm afraid if I make myself too available or if I try to force my way into her life, it will only push her away. I'm in my mid 20s (she's 4-5 years older), I have my degree, I'm the youngest person at my position within a billion dollar company, I'm an amateur MMA fighter so I have a good physique-- I know that all sounds arrogant, the point I'm trying to make is I KNOW I can find another girl BUT I love this one. Should I let her go? Has letting someone go ever worked out for anyone? Did they ever come back? How long?
Is it for the best to let go of someone you truly love? Did they ever come back?
Add Opinion