Is it for the best to let go of someone you truly love? Did they ever come back?

I'm having a hard time letting go of my ex girlfriend. She's a sweet, caring girl, the type I've always wanted. But she's just not in a place where she feels she can handle a relationship. She has some issues-- insecurities both physically and emotionally, overcoming an addiction to opiates, a toxic relationship that lasted several years, and just a general lack of self-love. Add all of that to the fact that she is 30, has no idea what she wants to do as a career and recently relocated to escape her ex and get a fresh start to combat her addiction. She told me I did absolutely nothing wrong, and insists I couldn't have treated her better. It kills me to let her go, because I don't see the flaws, I only see the sweet, caring girl with big brown eyes that I fell in love with. I know she's right, that she does have some bigger issues to focus on, but I wanted to be there to help her through it. I'm afraid if I make myself too available or if I try to force my way into her life, it will only push her away. I'm in my mid 20s (she's 4-5 years older), I have my degree, I'm the youngest person at my position within a billion dollar company, I'm an amateur MMA fighter so I have a good physique-- I know that all sounds arrogant, the point I'm trying to make is I KNOW I can find another girl BUT I love this one. Should I let her go? Has letting someone go ever worked out for anyone? Did they ever come back? How long?
0
1