My ex has mental issues and wants me to be his friend, but I still have feelings for him - what to do?

My ex broke up with me three months ago out of the blue - he’s been dealing with a lot of deep rooted mental issues and chose to let me go. He came back a month after the break up to get back together but I said no - despite still loving him, but knew getting back together was for the wrong reasons as he felt lonely.

I’ve met up with him three times since he came back and each time I’m very emotional because I still love and care about him, but know his issues are too major for me to handle, even though I want to be there for him. The past weekend we’ve been hanging out and I knew I still had strong feelings for him because I was touchy and flirty, but he said he can’t get back together anymore, not right now. He doesn’t know why he has switched the flame off and needs me as a friend because of his deep mental issues and only agreed to hang out this weekend as a friend though he was tempted to make a move on me several times, but knew it would be wrong-doing and empty.

He wants me to be there as a friend and to know the boundaries between us because he feels I deserve better and I can’t take the load of his issues. I’ve tried being there for him but it’s not enough. What can I do without getting myself hurt because I still love him? Can I really be just friends for him and his issues? Every time I see him, it always ends with me in tears and feels like we are breaking up all over again. I love him and want to help him, but it’s not enough.
0
1