What would make you want to cheat in a relationship?

20

What Girls Said 2

• I've never been in a relationship thinking "hey, I want to cheat" but as much as I regret it, I have cheated. What happened was I was really in love with ex. We had broken up a while back but I never really got over him because he was the first person I fell in love with. My best guy friend asked me out and I had always had a crush on him so I said yes. After about 3 years I started getting really insecure in our relationship. I felt like he wasn't really paying me enough attention and I still had feelings for my ex. I lost a lot of weight and changed the way I looked and started flirting with other guys hoping to make him jealous and pay more attention to me. This guy and I started talking and I would hang out with him sometimes. He reminded me of my ex and he just made me feel "alive again" if that makes any sense. We ended up sleeping together and I instantly regretted it. I told my boyfriend and he was really crushed but we ended up going to couples therapy and we're still together. It's been really difficult and I have a plethora of regrets but I really feel I've learned my lesson.

So basically what caused me to cheat was entering into a relationship when I wasn't totally over someone else, insecurity, not being able to let go of the past, selfishness and also I feel like I had an over idealized expectation of love. I expected constant passion, spontaneity and butterflies in my stomach and real love is more about compromise, security and acceptance. I feel like a lot of people have that issue and that's why a lot of cheating happens. Anyway, I know it was long but I hope it answered your question.

• Your answer wasn't too long it is a good answer. Thank you.

• I'm ashamed I have cheated, but what made me do so was my boyfriend was so controlling. I guess I did it just to almost prove to myself I have my own freedom. Also, my boyfriend was awful in bed, so it got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore I guess.

• Thanks for your honesty.

What Guys Said 0