He isn't sure about us because of my past and he wants a break. What should I do? Is there a chance of us staying together?

newgirlA
I'll keep it as short as possible and please be as harsh as needed.

He isn't sure about us because of my past, he says he had a different image of me and now thats changed. He doesn't respect me in the same way because even tho I haven't been with a lot of guys he's got this thing in his head that maybe I wasn't respected and I'm not a good girl etc.

He wanted to end it, then when I asked why and if we could sort it he said he wanted to take a break instead but said ending it cos I gave him an ultimatum and that I don't understand him. He says he needs time to deal with tough things in his life and be who he used to be when I met him and get rid of that image in his head. When I asked if he can promise me anything like we'd work it out he says he promises we will and that he loves me but NEEDS PEACE. He says he may not even need a month. But so many conflicting things said, I don't want to have hope but I'm so afraid to loose him. When I asked if were staying loyal etc he said of course and it has nothing to do with other women, thats not on his mind, and that he loves me but he's angry about the past and doesn't know if he can get over it. He's been super loving and completely perfect until we argued yday about something small and then it lead to him saying he doesn't believe my version of events with my exs

I know deep down I should forget any chance of reconciliation and move on but I need to hear it from other people I guess, or even if someone has some advice on how to deal with this in the best way or with the most chance of him deciding he can't lose me.
9
1