How to act after a "i like you a lot but don't want a relationship right now" from a good friend?

i am good friends with a guy since September. he is actually a rather introvert guy, i think he only kissed one girl in his whole life and i know she was the pushy one... we never made out but i really thought he is into me because of gestures and also because of what he said, i assume he also kinda knows that i like him

he has his first job since march and it is in the most renowned consulting company in the world. i actually helped him get it by preparing with him for the interview, as i already had a consulting offer.
he works til midnight now every day and also does some work on the weekend. in his free time, he'd go see his parents, which are an important part of his life and live around the corner literally, he'd go to the gym and maybe see some friends (he has a lot) and usually spend a bit of time with me.

during the last few weeks i felt like i am not that important to him anymore, and i was just so curious i straight out asked him per whatsapp "i know this is random now, but do you actually like me "more"? and he replied "hey, i like you a lot but at the moment i don't want a relationship if you mean that... i really hope i did not send you any wrong signals, our friendship means a lot to me :)"
i replied "ok, i understand, you are a nice guy and i want you to be happy. i just always need certainty in my life so i can move on"

we didn't send anymore texts, what should i do now? i feel like not contacting him at all is the smartest option
3
0