Am I in the wrong?

so long story short, I had been dating this girl for about 4 months (known her for 2 years) I really liked her but she told me that she only saw me as a best friend and someone she truly care about but didn’t want a relationship with me for whatever reason (assuming ex boyfriend came back into her life) so I respected her decision and stayed her friend. a couple days later I notice her ex comment heart eyes on her instagram photo so I ask her what that was about and she said she doesn’t know why he did that because they don’t talk anymore (she told me while we were dating that he used her for sex and then after they broke up he started talking to her bestfriend and caused them to fight). so I decided to message him because I didn’t want him to hurt her again because I knew she still loved him. so I told him she’s worth a lot more than sex and that if his intentions weren’t good that he should leave her alone. he got all defensive and said hat he loved her and he’d never do that (probably just putting on a show because I told him I was her friend and he wanted brownie points) Anyways he went and cried to her because I messaged him so she came to me and got mad at me saying it wasn’t my place and that she already told me that she didn’t want a relationship with me and that i had no right to intervene in future relationships that she might want to have. so I got mad because all I was trying to do was look out for her because I care and she means a lot to me. I love her... but I couldn’t take being treated like shit anymore so I told her I was done and that I hope she has a good life. I feel bad because I never wanted to hurt her but I probably did and I just miss her a lot.
Am I in the wrong?
Add Opinion