How to go back to friendship after having a relationship?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• The best way to approach this is to provide closure. If the two of you ended on a good note and were very clear as to why the relationship needed to end, there is an easy recovery to establish a friendship again without permanently damaging it. However, if you two ended on a bad note, why not talk with them again in providing closure and letting them know that what happened before is in the past and you want to move forward with them in the form of a friendship. They may or may not accept this change depending on how much they cared for you.

0|1
    0|0
    • I ended the relationship, but he is still in love with me. We concluded to stay friends, but now it feels really strange between us.

• Show All
    • I see why this is a difficult predicament for you. Just realize that if he commits any kind of reckless action that it is not your fault because you've done nothing to provoke the way he feels as it came naturally to him. He needs to gain confidence in himself and not give you an emotional burden just because you're one of the only people he's close to. You have a right to complain to the school administration if he attempts anything that would make you feel uncomfortable otherwise. One idea I can suggest is to help him find a group of people he could potentially make friends with! If he can divert his attention to other people, he'll less likely be attached to you and be not as likely to do something reckless.

• Thanks, that will be a good idea

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on how you both broke up and the feelings you both have for each other. If it is mutual etc. But it is extremely hard.

Personally still trying to but it is even more harder if you both are still caring about each other in certain ways. And not helping that i still have feelings for him and he knows about it.

0|1
    0|0
    • I feel the same like you right now and I dont know if i should end the friendship or not... would be glad if you'll tell me how it goes

• Didn't expect there are people in the same situation as me. Still maintaining the friendship even though it is hard cause i can't imagine him out of my life.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• Option A
    Take time a part to get over the relationship loss and leave the opportunity to form a friendship later if that's what you both want down the road.

Option B
    Ignore the reality and pretend as if you can be just friends immediately after a breakup. Ignore how you really feel and it show up in the form of dating competition, being catty or just kind of a hater when it comes to new dating partners because you're comparing yourself and can't be happy for him. Because you're actually not JUST friends

Option C
    Accept the breakup. Move on. Don't avoid them and accept whatever that happens.

Maybe you become friends. Maybe you don't. But trying too hard to be friends will fail, because you're wanting to be something you're not. Rather than accepting where you are. I'm friends with a couple exes. But I'm also not close friends with them. That connection is gone. Attraction is still there and if we're in the same room together it shows up, but that closeness is gone.

You're not going to maintain that closeness when the romance is no longer on the table.

0|0
    0|0
    • That's the hardest part. You miss what you had with that person, rather than the person themselves. You lost something and want that feeling back.

• There is literally nothing you can do. You can try but once you've crossed that line to relationship there's no guarantee it can or will ever go back to friendship. Both people have to want it and be ok with just having that and hearing about the new people each other are dating and having sex with. Sometimes once the relationship doesn't work out they don't want each other in each others lives anymore. There's nothing you can do to force it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on you, your ex, the reason why your relationship ended, and whether or not both of you mutually want to be friends. I personally wouldn't be friends with my ex but I have a friend who is still friends with two of her exes (and has a restraining order on another ex lol)

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s impossible you can’t be friends with your ex. Once you have had sex with someone that’s it. For a guy if he is not getting sex from the woman what benefit would it be being friends with her. None.

0|0
    0|0
  • Look while I agree in saying it's not the best or easy thing to do it can actually happen lol.

At the moment I'm working on being friends with my ex and it's bloody hard but I have to try and so does she as we do had a child together... Now we could take the easy way out and just talk when I want to see my kid but even though we split in a messy break up we still text call and visit each day even when the child isn't there and being babysitter by hers or my parents... We struggle a lot but get better each time we talk.. We don't have sex and we see other people but we will always be friends no matter what gets in the way and just so u know this isn't just my opinion on this lol she's sitting here beside me agreeing on this all

1|1
    0|0
  • Really doesn't work. Once you're at that level of intimacy with someone you're not really going to go back to being "just friends". Either you're together, or you're barely acquaintances basically

0|1
    0|0
  • You don't. And if you do, then all it was was "friendship"

1|0
    0|0
  • Most guys are not interested in being friends with a girl after finding out she planned to leave as soon as someone richer or better looking came along

0|1
    0|0
  • If it wasn't too violent of a breakup inviting her to group activities is the best way. Make sure they are things like, going to the mall, taking a hike... you know afternoon stuff not a whole day.

0|0
    0|0
  • It happens automatically usually but sometimes it takes some work with people who are emotionaly immature

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't. The person that got broken up with will almost always resent the other.

0|0
    0|0
  • in my opinion its not possible, unless itnwas a really quick and not really significant relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've done that twice. They're the girls that I was closest with. And they were open to the idea too coz they missed me too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not possible, the best I've seen is acquaintances kind of.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not easy but if you avoid it can go to break ups and friendship also over

0|0
    0|0
  • Get a Dog. Only companion you'll ever need.

2|1
    0|0
  • Most of the time you can’t

0|0
    0|0
  • You dont

0|1
    0|0
  • Just tell him we are just friends..😂😂

1|0
    0|0
  • Not a wise choice!

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 8

• It's pretty hard to survive a relationship downgrade.

0|0
    0|0
  • Becoming friends after being in a relationship isn't always possible. You both have to want it in order for it to work

0|0
    0|0
  • No no no lol

0|0
    0|0
  • still trying to work this out myself

1|0
    0|0
  • That's hard tho

0|0
    0|0
  • Its posible but hard