Guys, Why did my boyfriend introduce me to his friends & family telling them I'm his girl/girlfriend & then dump me 5 months later?

So I started dating my now ex boyfriend last December. I was invited over for Christmas & he also came to both of my families Christmas' as well. Things were great or so I thought. We took couples photos with his parents & his brothers & their ladies. He introduced me to nearly all of his friends within the month as well. Only about a month ago I met one if his best friends too. I once caught him sending an old interest of his inappropriate messages but we quickly got over that. And then a month after that he broke up with me, stating we both had issues to work out (example financially & such) I don't understand why he went to the lengths of announcing to his whole crew he loves the most that I'm his lady only to get rid of me a few months later. He at first didn't want an open relationship or to share me but the suddenly he was ok with it. Until I went to a movie with one of his friends AFTER we broke up. He was furious & it almost ended their friendship. Why? And then he decided after the breakup that he wanted us to be friends with benefits. And he still KISSED & HUGGED me every day. And called me babe & baby too. He had previously told me he saw a future for us but if I ever mentioned a future, he got freaked out. Please explain this someone if you can. Because I am trying my hardest to move on but I don't think I'll be able to without some kind of clarity.
was I just a booty call he wanted to show off?
did things get too real & it scared him because he actually cares about me & us
GirlGuy
2