Confessed feelings to best friend and received an unexpected response considering everything that had transpired?

So a girl that originally rejected me ended up becoming my best friend. I conceded to the fact that we would stay just friends. Then I started seeing signs that maybe she changed her mind. Such as her comparing us to my brother and his fiance multiple times. Hanging out 5-6 days a week. Talking on the phone in between. We have had at least 3 months of daily contact almost always initiated by her. We would make plans to hang out on a Saturday lets say at 1:00. Then she would call me in the morning and try to meet sooner. So I would recommend 11:00 and she would push for 10:00. We would hang out at 10:00, and then we would agree to get together later that night. But that wouldn't be enough, then she would call me in between and we would chat for 30-40 minutes.

Basically she wanted to talk to or be with me CONSTANTLY. If we were apart for more than 3 days she would comment on how it had been ages since we saw each other. She would ask questions like how did my parents meet, am I totally relaxed around her, etc.. We considered ourselves long lost twins. We got along great. But then I would also see her using a dating app every now and then even though she had told me she didn't use them and didn't want a relationship with ANYONE. I got curious and checked out her profile. Her description of what she is looking for fit me to a T.

Finally I had enough and couldn't keep quiet any longer. I told her how I felt and she said that she only sees me as a friend. She sees me as her best friend but nothing beyond that. She really doesn't want to lose my friendship and it's tearing her up also. I'm not the best when it comes to reading women but this one was so obvious that everyone who knew us saw it too. They would say, "she can call it what she wants but you guys have totally been dating." What did I do wrong? How can someone be that drawn to me and still not have any feelings beyond friendship?
0
2