How do you tell someone that thinks you're the love of their life that you don't think it's working?

Weve been together for 7 years now. I have had doubts throughout but I've always been too scared to be honest about my feelings. I tried at the beginning and it went horribly. I tried again a few months ago and he got very depressed and didn't get out of the funk till i said I wanted to be together - I said i wanted to try working on us which we have been
.. i dont think i want to be together anymore. But i can't put him through that again. Im so scared. I think circumstances have kept us together this long..
So my only real option is to tell him im done.. Which will shock him and probably destroy him.
How do I go about doing this? Is there any advice?
We live together and we split the bills. I depend on him in certain aspects as he depends on me.. Im just so lost

110

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly you're right to just rip the bandaid off. Doing it quickly and matter of fact will definitely shock him and no matter how you do it it's gonna hurt. But it'll hurt significantly less than dragging him through a slow breakup. You don't owe anyone a relationship so if you think it's better for you to not be in a relationship with him then you need to just tell him that. There is no easy and painless solution but being honest is definitely the least painful on both ends. It's gonna be brutally painful for both of you for a while but both of you will recover eventually even if it doesn't seem like it. I'm sorry you've been wrestling with this dilemma but i wish you the best of luck in dealing with it.

• Thank you. I think having anxiety has made it do much harder for me to do what I need to for myself..
      I absolutely hate confrontation or anything dealing with strong emotions so this has always been very difficult for me

Most Helpful Girl

• Just going to have to be honest. After 7 years though, be sure this is what you really want, because you could come to regret it down the line, and by then he'll probably have moved on.