How do you tell someone that thinks you're the love of their life that you don't think it's working?

Weve been together for 7 years now. I have had doubts throughout but I've always been too scared to be honest about my feelings. I tried at the beginning and it went horribly. I tried again a few months ago and he got very depressed and didn't get out of the funk till i said I wanted to be together - I said i wanted to try working on us which we have been
.. i dont think i want to be together anymore. But i can't put him through that again. Im so scared. I think circumstances have kept us together this long..
So my only real option is to tell him im done.. Which will shock him and probably destroy him.
How do I go about doing this? Is there any advice?
We live together and we split the bills. I depend on him in certain aspects as he depends on me.. Im just so lost
10
1