Should I force my friend into counselling?

She has a massively abusive boyfriend, he cheats, insults her, forces her to ditch her friends and controls where she goes and what she wears (no it's not a sex thing) I could tell somebody and get her a counselor, but I feel like that would backstab her, which would hurt more cos I'm the only one who stayed with her. I don't know.

23

Most Helpful Girl

• Your friend's boyfriend does not force her to do anything. He might nag and moan if she does not but it is her choice whether she does it or not. Whether she does it out of fear or to please him she is choosing to do it. A counselor is usually a private professional which is expensive. Not only does your friend not want to see one but can she afford one and if you forced her to see one can you afford to pay for it? You say that her boyfriend forces her and then you are trying to force her to see one. Let her make her own decisions - they may be awful decisions, but everything is her choice, she is a grown up. She reaps the rewards or consequences of her decisions, same as we all do. Worry about your own life and make your own life as good as it can be instead of worrying about hers. You choose whether you remain her friend. Make the right decision for you.

Most Helpful Guy

• She needs not only that, but a good support network of friends and family.
    Above all she needs to get away from him and never contact him again. He's dangerous.

• She's left, but within weeks or even days she crawls back, everytime, and the situations just keep getting worse.

• She needs to be kept away from him. No contact. He's a malignant narcissist, and he will destroy her with no regrets. He does not and can not ever love her. He will do all he can to separate her from friends and family, break her in all ways possible and then he will leave her. Put her into hiding if you can, but don't let her see or contact him again.