Are you a child of divorce? And do you love differently because of it?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• My parents divorced. I think I value love more. I take marriage very seriously. I don't want to be like my dad, since he was married to plenty of different women. And I don't want to be like my mom, because she is always talking smack about my dad behind his back. She doesn't realize that no matter what, he's still my dad.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I feel the exact same way. I wouldn’t want to put my children through what I went through and I don’t go telling every guy I date that I love them. I feel like I’m very cautious to who I get into relationships with because I don’t want to end up like my parents. My mother was the same way as yours. Still is. Which I’ve lost respect for her because of it. My main concern is that our generation doesn’t take marriage or relationships seriously anymore. And I’m not speaking on behalf of everyone but a vast majority don’t take it seriously. Marriage shouldn’t be considered a trap, if you have marriage problems you should work them out, divorce should be the absolute final answer. It effects more than just the couple.

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents divorced when I was just born and my biological father soon migrated to Indonesia. I have never seen him. I've never reflected on how it affected me since I didn't remember him at all but seeing what my mom became because of him does affect my views on marriage. Not only that, I grew up seeing failed relationships and marriages all around from friends to neighbours to relatives.. I have never fallen in love and because of the things I witnessed, I'm scared to fall in love or be in any sort of relationship. I don't think I can't handle heartbreak. And after seeing what happens to people who goes through it, makes me even more sure that I won't risk anything to go through that. Emotional pain to that extend would break me.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• My mom was a bad alcoholic so im not sure if i love different but cause of it my trust in women has to be earned never given and that has caused some issues in my relationships in my life

1|0
    0|0
  • Father did drugs, but cleaned himself up. Though I read that kids with divorced parents stay in longer and happy relationships. I think it’s kinda true.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really divorce since they never married, but I lacked a father figure since a very young age.

Excluding the fact that my mother was a substance abuser and that I lived most of my life with my grandma, I'd say I have trouble noticing love?

Maybe because of how grandma is strict and serious and my life I rather slowly progress trough stages of love and build trust, loyalty, building a deep bond.

Maybe I have serious abandonment issues and trust issues, but I don't see the appeal of one night stands.

I've been blessed in being forced as a child to join a group of kids who have difficulties with studying, at which I've volunteered as a tutor for those of earlier? Lower? classes. By talking with so many troubled kiddos and teens I've, to an extent, learned how to see things from another perspective and how everyone suffers trough life more one less than others.

I don't think I've met someone who I can confidently say, yes you've been dealt the lowest hand in life.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve never really had a proper father figure so that affected me.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents divorced in 1994 but it doesn't affect me on how i love someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I grew up with my mom, never lived with my dad. And I love like a teddy bear

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a child of a bad marriage without divorce.
    Dad suffered in silence.
    I decided to be more open in my marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm in a different but similar boat of a child of probably should have just gotten a divorce. My house was constant fighting and arguements and I feel like it does affect the way I am in relationships because it was not a healthy relationship to grow up around. I wish my parents would have just divorced instead of subjecting us to their failing marriage for years.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 14

• My parents got divorced since 2005. I was just a child during this time and i feel that it was for the better. I prefer them being separated than together and fighting all the time. That being said, I believe I see marriage differently than my friends whose parents stayed together. For me, it’s weird to see old couples love each other. However, I believe that my goal is to form a unified family, something that I didn’t have in my childhood.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, a child of divorce. But even if they had not divorced, it would not have changed not having the love or attention of my father - and how it impacted me all my life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I was that child. And yes, it does have an impact to romantic feelings. I guess I have trust issues because of my fathers behavior back then.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I'm. Seeing how the relationship of both my parents impacted me. I didn't trust people easily so I don't fall in love that easily too.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am the child of a divorce, i wouldn't say it makes me love differently but it did make me assume the role of an adult to take care of my brother.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I’m soon to be a child of divorce. My parents are separated for a long time but they haven’t divorce yet. I’d still love my parents as the same

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah my parents are divorced but it's never really bothered me too much

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I don't think you love differently, but you may look at the value of marriage differently.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I think it adds to my depression

1|0
    0|0
  • No but I am a eternal fan of divorce

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I am

0|0
    0|0
  • The divorce didn't effect me, but my cheating, manipulative, abusuve father did.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s different. I thought my parents were happy but they weren’t. I’m kind of scared to marry what if it doesn’t work out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i am and honestly they are better off separate it was a very violent situation so yeah and they both were messing around on each other anyway the problem i had was with his wife and my mom and i could never have a single even without it being a fight so in my life now it changed me to i may not like my ex but i will do my best to get along with them for the sake of my child his wife is wonderful and my child really likes her and thats all that really matters to me

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes