Are you a child of divorce? And do you love differently because of it?

159

Most Helpful Guy

• My parents divorced. I think I value love more. I take marriage very seriously. I don't want to be like my dad, since he was married to plenty of different women. And I don't want to be like my mom, because she is always talking smack about my dad behind his back. She doesn't realize that no matter what, he's still my dad.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I feel the exact same way. I wouldn’t want to put my children through what I went through and I don’t go telling every guy I date that I love them. I feel like I’m very cautious to who I get into relationships with because I don’t want to end up like my parents. My mother was the same way as yours. Still is. Which I’ve lost respect for her because of it. My main concern is that our generation doesn’t take marriage or relationships seriously anymore. And I’m not speaking on behalf of everyone but a vast majority don’t take it seriously. Marriage shouldn’t be considered a trap, if you have marriage problems you should work them out, divorce should be the absolute final answer. It effects more than just the couple.

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents divorced when I was just born and my biological father soon migrated to Indonesia. I have never seen him. I've never reflected on how it affected me since I didn't remember him at all but seeing what my mom became because of him does affect my views on marriage. Not only that, I grew up seeing failed relationships and marriages all around from friends to neighbours to relatives.. I have never fallen in love and because of the things I witnessed, I'm scared to fall in love or be in any sort of relationship. I don't think I can't handle heartbreak. And after seeing what happens to people who goes through it, makes me even more sure that I won't risk anything to go through that. Emotional pain to that extend would break me.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE