Is “taking a break” the end of a relationship?

Settle a debate a friend and I are having about what “take a break” means for a relationship. I say it’s the kiss of death and someones got a new person, he says it just means you need time to think.

• Kiss of Death/Sleeping with someone else
    Vote A
  • We’ll get back together stronger then ever!
    Vote B
  • Other, explain as a comment please
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I experienced this personally. She said she needed to take a break so we could have "space." I agreed, two months later I found out she was seeing a bunch of guys and broke up with me for one of them. Never again.

"We need a break" is code for "I want to sleep with other people, and not have you upset about it in case it doesn't work out."

2|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend asked for a break last week. We were both unhappy in the relationship but we both want to make it work so we’re taking time apart to reflect on what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve it and come back better (his words and his idea), however he did say that he was unsure of wether he feels ready to be in a relationship. Skip to a week later, we’re inbetween a break and breaking up and he says he’s not sure if he wants a relationship, but if he does then he wants to be with me and I don’t understand what’s going on. But I think he has good intentions

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Oh honey. I’m sorry. I hope for the best for you, no matter what it ends up being.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• It depends on the couple. If the person asking for the break is a weenie and too chicken to just break up, it's the kiss of death. On the other hand, if they are confident and respecful, it may or may not be the end. It depends on what they decide on the break. It's okay to agree to not anyone while on break.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you are to the point where you need a break the relationship has been on its last legs.

Even if they get back together there will always be that nagging seed of doubt in the back of their minds. Who did they fuck? Did they catch anything? Will they keep looking elsewhere? Did they really miss me?

But, everyone's different. Maybe someone can be the exception and prove me wrong.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe in it. If someone says that, I just automatically assume it's code for "it's over" and they are too chicken shit to say it. I've also never ever heard of any couple "taking a break" and getting back together and everything working out. Never.

2|1
    0|0
  • I think whatever it means is irrelevant. You should be clear and concise when something like that happens. If you need space and time to think, you need to make that very clear and that you have no intention of ending the relationship. But if you're looking around and just want flirt around or something because you're looking at other options, it's common decency to not string someone along

1|0
    0|0
    • Completely agree with you. But there are people that still string the other person around. Sigh

• Being apart sure gives one time to think! What exactly is there to think about? You're either attracted or you're not. There is no negotiating desire or attraction.
    So I'm with you - it's the kiss of death. It means you can't make it work together so somehow you're going to do it apart? Failed logic at best. It just means he's not that into you or there's no way he would let you go. No friggin way. This is not the man of your dreams.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 10

• I dated a guy who was in such a break. Ofc he didn't tell me that he had a girlfriend. He just used me for that break to pass time and went back to his girl and she never knew of anything.

Im still tempted to tell her everything. Because I hate for what he did to me and also to her.

1|1
    0|0
  • 90% of the time it ends up with them becoming distant after the break.. so ends up with breaking up

1|1
    0|0
  • It's code for "I want to date another guy and see if we hit it off first, without losing you".

2|3
    0|0
    • Damn, why not just break up

• Show All
    • @rahul_24 yeah.. now you can find yourself a girl who really wants a relationship and know she wants it with you.

• Yea hope so, thank you 😊😊

• Yes, there's no such thing as taking a break in a relationship. Do we take breaks from breathing? No. You're either with that person or you're not. I don't believe in breaks, when a person says "i need a break" I'm going to add the "up" part cause to me that's what their saying without actually saying it cause their too scared to end the relationship. A break is also a good excuse to go off and see other people and explore their options, if they can't find someone else to sleep with then they come running back to you. Or it's just a good way to ghost out the relationship from a distance without the awkwardness. If you don't know if you want to be with someone then you just break up, you don't need to time to figure if you want to be with someone or not.. you just know it. So the whole "break" then is just nonsense.

1|0
    0|1
  • @StellaGreenEyes it's all circumstantial to what your meaning of "taking a break" is. Sometimes it means open range and free to do as you please, sometimes it means you're gonna work on yourself and stay faithful, etc. I always say you lay out the expectations and go from there. I wouldn't take a break unless I knew what it consisted of. So no, I don't believe it ends relationships. When my now ex and I took a break for 9 months to work things out our relationship lasted another 4-1/2 years. Neither of us were unfaithful and we technically just gave each other physical space to recuperate and breathe a bit.

0|0
    0|1
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes