Ex keeps trying to hit me up even though he has a new gf?

pooper89
So my ex just hit me up via Instagram DM this evening after a few weeks of no contact. I told him never to contact me again after he told me to stop flirting with him because he apparently has a new girlfriend even though he was flirting with me a couple days before saying that (I was being flirty because I wanted him to help me with something non-related).
Well I checked out his fb and his "in a relationship" post is public and it shows the girl's profile pic... Something he never did for me.
We dated on and off for about two years. He's not a good person. We fought a lot mainly because I felt he didn't make our relationship a priority and I have told him off numerous times. He even told me he was afraid to pursue me because of how we started out (he cheated on his girlfriend at the time with me). When I told him never to contact me again, he said, "that's fair. Goodbye." And that was that. Yet here he is, trying to chat me up and be all chummy. Why does he continue to contact me even after he made his new girl fb official? It's like he can't stay away and has no self control.
3
1