Can a cheating ex change?

My ex had been cheating on me for the majority of the time we were together. We dated for 1.7 years. I found out about the cheating, he blamed it on being miserable, and using it as an escape from all the fighting we experienced. A lot of the fighting had to do with his behavior and me suspecting he was cheating. It has been 4 months since we broke up. I spent a lot of time hating him and wanting nothing to do with him. I’ve entered a new relationship and have learned to let go of that pain and anger towards my ex. I unblocked my ex a few days ago and he messaged me (like he normally does). He told me about how he is trying to become a better person and partner. He asked me for advice (which i felt was insensitive). Anyways, i gave him my advice which was catered towards him he then replied with “haha, i feel this might cause an argument”. I got annoyed because my advice wasn’t mean or accusatory. I gave him true and kind advice. However, talking to him, I just don’t believe someone can change like that in 4 months. I don’t want him back (i do still care for him though), as i could never trust him and i found a guy who is everything I’ve ever wanted. He talks about all this change. I still don’t think I can be friends with him, because if he didn’t love/respect me enough not to cheat, who knows what else he can do.
Can a cheating ex change?
Add Opinion