Getting over heartbreak?

Guys what is a respectable time to get over your ex?

I loved her very much and I see no reconcilliation so know I must move on.

I am finding this very hard to do. I think about her constantly and feel sick with the thought of her being with someone else.

I know time heals all wounds etc and have read tips on getting over your ex but I'd like peoples own experiences on heartbreak and how long before they felt better.

It's been about 2 months now and I don't feel any better. I just feel empty and depressed with my life I'm sick of feeling sorry for myself and wallowing in self pity but when I think about her which is all the time I am instantly sad again. How long should I feel like this and when do you know if it's time to seek outside help (ie therapy)?

I feel like my heartbreak is turning into an obsession and I don't know how to stop it. I am not contacting her so am at least not making a nuisance of myself to her but it still doesn't make me think about her less.

15

Most Helpful Guy

• No ones to sit here and tell you anything about what a respectble time is to get over your ex. Everyguy is different and can love someone on different levels. Its going to take a while if you were in a long term relationship, but that's pretty much expected between man and women. Don't let anyone tell you you are any less of a man since you can't get over a girl. I was dating my ex for 2 years and it took me damn near 6 months to get over her. I gave her my heart too. It took a lot for me to get over her also. I needed therapy, get rid of her facebook (off of mine), myspace, block her number from my phone so I wouldn't txt/call her. It hurt a lot at first but I got over her. The pain from heartbreak is unbearable too. It literally feels your heart is being ripped. I will admit, I did cry over her too. it took me a long ass time but now I'm able to talk to her about my problems dating other girls, and she will sincerely help me and I don't feel jealous or bad about the guy she is with now. Do what you feel like you have to do to get over her and move on to someone better

What Girls Said 1

• There is no time limit. It's always different. Let it take its course - don't feel weird if it takes longer for you than it does for others. Are you sure you can't figure something out with her? Try to keep busy, focus on things that make you happy in life. A trip, if you can afford it, always has been the best remedy for me. Take care, I feel for you, this stuff sucks when it happens

What Guys Said 4

• Anytime is a respectable time to get over your ex, and the sooner the better. I was going out with a girl for 3 years and she broke up with me back in May. She was never clear about why she did it, and I still haven't recieved closure as to why she broke up with me. I felt like complete and utter sh*t for about 4 months until I realized that there's nothing I can do and I have to accept it for what it is. It took me a long, long time to actually come to terms that I couldn't be with her anymore, but I got there.

Even now 6 months on I'm still not 100% completely over her (mostly due to still not knowing why she did what she did), I still think about her from time to time and think back on our relationship, but it doesn't affect me as much as it did. I won't feel sad or upset and it won't really affect my life as much anymore.

Personally speaking, the very best thing you could do is to talk to someone about it. I mean anyone, be it friends, family or a counselor and anytime is a good time to talk to someone. If you keep all your feelings bottled up they won't go away and they'll hang around much longer that you will want them to. It might seem like you will spend the rest of your life thinking about this girl and wondering what could have been, but you'll snap out of it eventually and feel much better about yourself.

• When it comes to heartbreak it depends on the person. Some people take months or even years to get over it, then there are some that can do it in weeks or in days. A part of moving on from someone is moving on with YOUR life and getting back out to the world, having fun, meeting people, improving on yourself in areas like your job or school, and dating other girls asap. Many people relapse because they think that there is no one better than their ex. How would you know that if you won't give anyone else a chance? You must do things for yourself for things to happen. First you have to get in touch with reality, missing her won't do you any good. Never talk to her again even when she tries to contact you down the road (eventually she will trust me). Don't be friends with her, I can't stress that enough. Hang with friends and family, but don't talk about your ex, don't talk bad about relationships because you don't have one, and don't be negative. Be confident and outgoing. Adjust your style, go out and spoil yourself within your means. Take up some new hobbies and go where women are at. Think of it this way, you are free to do what you want with other people. It's good that you are not chasing her. There is no set time on when someone will heal, but moving on, loving yourself, and getting back out there is a big step to getting over someone.

• It can take, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. Be strong and work on yourself. You aren't bad or weak for missing her. Work on yourself and work on connecting with your male friends. You need them now and they'll loose women and need you too.

It will suck, take a lot of time, but you'll eventually be ok.

• A good rule of thumb is that healing will start taking place about half of the time you guys were together. So if you were together for 1 year, you should start seeing some improvements in 6 months. Check this out for more breakup help ==> link