What do you think about exes who want to be friends?

My ex (of 5 months) and I broke up a few weeks ago on our anniversary. We had a strained discussion about how he wanted me to meet his ex and about how I felt it was unhealthy that he skypes his ex once a month. I missed his out of town grandmas 80th bday, he missed my graduation.

I texted him to ask for the photos he took of me from special events. He gave them to me a few days later and told me he felt responsible for the airfare and wanted to reimburse me. I told him it wasn’t necessary. He then texted me to give me back my things even though he has my address and could have easily mailed them.

I texted him an apology because I felt that I had pushed him a little too hard and that I caused the break up even though I felt strongly about what I said. I asked to apologize in person. He responded that he didn’t think that an apology was necessary but that he would like to see me and develop a long lasting friendship despite the break up. He said if I wanted the same, to meet him at a specific place and time.

I’m not going to meet him. I feel insulted that he would ask to be friends, especially when I was clear that I thought being friends with exes was unhealthy. I don’t want to be his friend, I want to be with him and I feel that being his friend is only beneficial to him.

1
1