Should I forgive my girlfriend for cheating?

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 2 years and she recently told me she cheated on me. She said it was in the beginning of the relationship and the reason why is because she didn't realize that I was really in love with her so she had a "back up" I guess. And I just keep thinking about that and it just keeps bothering me. I know I should just let it go since it was about 2 years ago but why would she tell me so late into our relationship. Someone tell me should I forgive her? Do you think she will do it again?

31

Most Helpful Girl

• You should forgive her, not because it benefits her, but because it's in your best interest to do so. Forgiving is not forgetting, but if you don't forgive.. you'll simply just be carrying it around and it will wear on you. She could have not told you at all. I'm not saying that it's right, and I definitely know it hurts and is bothersome to think about because it's always on your mind. It was probably something that was wearing on her, not coming out about it. And that is probably why she came out so late about it. She probably felt guilty over it and knew that it would hurt you to know, but hiding something like that can be exhausting and she wanted to come clean.

What Girls Said 2

• Well it depends, she had the guts to tell you the truth which she didn't have to if she didn't wanted and you would of never found out, so you gotta admit she's at least honest, even if it's a little late.

But you should really think about it, if she cheated once over such a silly reason, isn't she capable of doing it again in the future? I don't know, it's a tough decision, if I was in your shoes and my boyfriend told me he cheated on me I would forgive him but I would break up with him because even if we barely were in a relationship when he did it he betrayed my trust and that's just something that's very important in a relationship, if I had decided to stay with him then I would know that deep inside of me I would hold a grudge on him, and that's not healthy. I could forgive but never forget.. So if you really think you can move past this 100% and forgive her then I say give her another chance, otherwise, don't.

• she told you about it. it was at the beginning of the relationship; I don't know her personally but my guess is she didn't think your relationship would last. it was two years ago. FORGIVE HER. my boyfriend cheated on me at the lowest point in my life, and I had to find out from someone else. I never forgave him. But in your situation, I say if she loves you enough to tell you about it, then she loves you enough to not do it again.

What Guys Said 1

• She seemed pretty upfront. It's up to you. If you are willing to forgive her, make sure you don't hold it against her. A ton of men "get back" at their girlfriends for the past. If you are going to do this, spare her the relief and just let her go. Only an idiot will start being a jerk to her to feel good about himself.