My ex-boyfriend broke up with me because he is depressed. Advise?

My on again off again ex of three years broke up with me about three weeks ago. The first week we talked everyday and I was telling how much he meant to me and how much I loved him. That Sunday we talked one last time and he asked for a week to think about things. Then we talked the next Friday because he had told his friend something I said and his friend decided to involve himself. He then told me right now he just needs to be alone. We’ve always had a very loving and what I thought happy relationship. We’ve never been hateful to one another. He told me he loves me and that it hurts him to let me go. Yet he did. We’re still friends on social media and he still shares his location with me not because I’ve asked him to or anything. He told me he needs to be alone and do things alone. When I asked what things he said he needs to lose weight alone and just handle his problems alone. He said he’s unhappy with himself and that he looks at himself in the mirror with disgust. I’ve left him alone. I miss Him and care about him. And as dumb as it sounds I’m confused and I know a lot of you might say he’s moved just let it go but I don’t get the gut feeling there is someone else, I’ve felt it before a while ago when we had broken up and I felt like there was someone else and there was but we got back together. This time I don’t feel like there’s anybody else. We ended with saying I love you.
4
1