It is believed in America that marriages are not as serious as they should be, what do you think?

Could it be that guys/girls only want to have children and not marriage
Your believe is probably working for you

1564

Most Helpful Guys

• The fact is it is true because I did some search and found out that nearly 53% of marriages in America end up in divorce which is almost half of them so what's the reason for this I guess it's because people usually go into the boat of marriage at an early age like 19-20 years old marrying each other which is nothing wrong but what they don't understand that marriage is a big responsibility and it needs a lot of effort so that it can work out for which they are not ready at that age which leads to sudden arguments and quarrels between the partners and finally leading to divorce so rather than hurrying up take your time and only get married when you are at a stable position in your life because love alone can't fill up your stomach Food is equally or most important so be realistic rather than lovelistic.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I don't think people take marriage as seriously as they used to. But by "used to" I mean like several decades ago. I don't know if there has been much change in the last 20-30 years or not. Although I do know that the divorce rate is starting to drop a little.

People are also getting married at an older age, so I think it's too soon to determine how many people of a given age group will get married until they are fairly old.

Yea, I think it's more common now for people to have children without getting married. Part of that is because it's just more acceptable now.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yes I think marital life was very interesting back then. Everything started falling apart years after 70s. The use of media has brought about so many changes in people's sense of belonging and judgement. I think the use of social media needs to be reviewed

• I'm older than my profile says and I was dating and had married friends in the 70s. I saw the change. I think a BIG thing is social acceptance and the law. There is a strong correlation between "no-fault" divorce laws and the divorce rate. Before no-fault laws, a court would turn down a divorce unless it met narrow criteria.

More than that, is general acceptance of living together. For example up through the 60s and into the 70s, it could be hard for an unmarried couple to rent an apartment. The landlord just wouldn't allow it. Unmarried couples living together would be majorly looked down on.

When I grew up, there was almost no such thing as divorce. I didn't know anyone who had divorced parents. I still know some of those couples, and they are quite happy after 60-70 years of marriage.

But you can also ask the legitimate question of why should someone who is truly unhappy, or even miserable, be forced to stay in that marriage because of the law or social pressure.

Most Helpful Girls

• I think some people no longer feel the need to get approval of church or state. Most people can't afford a big wedding so don't bother at all.
    There are plenty of people who save for the better part of a decade for a big wedding and still put themselves in debt only to realise they were more intrested in getting married to each other rather than being married and end up getting divorced. The divorce rate is 50% and in this country men can be treated very badly in divorce so a lot of guys are unwilling to get married.
    http://i.imgur.com/4jNcme8.png
    2static.fjcdn.com/.../307a6f_5748852.jpg

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I love the idea of marriage and the concept of making a life-long commitment to someone and having a life-long companion. If you haven't noticed in this comment section, most of the people who don't value marriage and don't see the benefit are young people... who aren't ready to make that sort of commitment and wouldn't see the value a marriage would have in their lives. The older people in this comment section actually seem to have the ability to appreciate the value a marriage has if you are willing make it work. There is nothing more beautiful than a marriage that lasts and my life may have turned out differently if I was raised by a single parent, or lived out of different homes. Children live by example, so never experiencing or seeing what a lasting marriage looks like and the effect it has on a family.. would be a foreign concept to them. There are much more children growing up in divorced and seperated familes, so it would make sense why this generation would not see its value. Marriage is not easy, but if you make it work, it is a beautiful thing indeed.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE