Boyfriend chose time with friends over our Skype date. What to do?

We had this Skype date planned for over 2 weeks now... My boyfriend is doing his PhD and was very stressed to confirm a nightout with his friends before... But now he is doing better workwise and so one day before our date night... he mentioned that his friends are going for a ball and he has asked them to check if there is a pass available (on our date night). Am gonna be honest, I was really pissed, that was my initial reaction. But now he mentioned that since he is finishing this year, this might be his last proper ball with his friends. I just dont know if my angry is justified because I still feel hurt and at the same time I understand what he must be going through... Fyi- 1) he was the one who had earlier said he regrets not doing date nights and hence we decided on this. 2) he wants to do a quick 'date night' before he leaves for the evening. Which am not OK with... Feels like he doesn't value this enough.
13
8