Boyfriend chose time with friends over our Skype date. What to do?

We had this Skype date planned for over 2 weeks now... My boyfriend is doing his PhD and was very stressed to confirm a nightout with his friends before... But now he is doing better workwise and so one day before our date night... he mentioned that his friends are going for a ball and he has asked them to check if there is a pass available (on our date night). Am gonna be honest, I was really pissed, that was my initial reaction. But now he mentioned that since he is finishing this year, this might be his last proper ball with his friends. I just dont know if my angry is justified because I still feel hurt and at the same time I understand what he must be going through... Fyi- 1) he was the one who had earlier said he regrets not doing date nights and hence we decided on this. 2) he wants to do a quick 'date night' before he leaves for the evening. Which am not OK with... Feels like he doesn't value this enough.

813

Most Helpful Guys

• So he is not allowed to have fun with his friends one last time?

There is more to a relationship than your feelings. I doubt you two will last very long.

• Wow that was rude

• Hi, alpha male, lol... he totally can and does have fun with his friends. But if something is planned weeks in advance. I would expect some committed from the other person... Especially because we are in a long distance and dont get to spend quality time together otherwise. Do you understand? I think the context here is more important. Not the fact that if he should enjoy his time with his friends or Skype with me.

• Eesh, cut some slack, if it is a one time thing so he can enjoy one 'last' moment with his mates let him. I'm sure Ur relationship can last one missed Skype date. He also tried a compromise which is much more than most guys give their ladies.

• Honestly, if a guy can't honor his own commitments. What's the point? We are in a long distance, if he won't put in the efforts, it is anyway extremely difficult to work. This date was planned weeks in advance. I think you should keep that in mind... It's not that he doesn't go out with his friends... And they dont meet or he is spending every weekend skyping with me. Prioritizing once in a while is good. And keep the situational context in mind.

Most Helpful Girl

• It sucks but long distance often does. Best not to do long distance then. What he says makes sense and you banging on about not being happy about it will mean he values his friends more and more and this less and less. He needs fun things now not commitments, seriousnessness, judgments, fault finding etc.