Girls, Why a girl hide her boyfriend, give mixed signals. Reject him then keeps looking at him all the time?

Me and a girl kept flirting, and I noticed she was a shy girl. After a few weeks of both showing a lot of interest I notice if I ever spoke to other girls she would get jealous etc. So I decided to introduce myself. I go a lot of signs the usual that shy girls give. every week I would go and talk to this girl and her friends and be nice and compliment her. but I kept noticing mixed signals. one week she acts like she got feekings for me and others not so much. I assumed she had a boyfriend as I would always see her having internal conflict especially after I spoke to her or she saw me.

So I backed off and totally avoided her for weeks, when I return I avoided looking at her. but when in class I couldnt help but smile and we both smiled. then she started acting weird again like having internal conflict and acting upset and staring at the floor and ignoring class. If i looked at her she would act sensitive. It felt odd and confused me as to how she avoided telling me she has a boyfriend. despite having numerous chances.

After many weeks of mixed signals, it came to the end of semester. I decided to just ask her out on her own without friends around. by which she said no because she has a boyfriend. so i offered to give her my phone number incase things dont pan out. she declined and I asked why she said she been in this relationship a long time. so i accpeted it as that.

The whole situation is pretty confusing, I also hear her boyfriend is emotionally manupulative, for example he gets jealous of other guys, and emotionally guilt trips her to get what he wants.

But that besides the point, Now I avoid going to places she goes, I dont look at her anymore either. But If im around I noticed she keeps secretely looking at me around groups of people, For example sometimes I catch her staring in a reflection of windows etc. then she looks away quickly if she thinks I catch her...
1