Breaking up with my emotionally unavailable boyfriend?

I used to like emotionally unavailable relationships, I used to just like having fun with a guy, letting things run their course and then ending on good terms.

However, with my current partner. I cared about him long before we got together. I tried not to, but you can't help who fall for.
We've been on and off for three years. When it's good it's great, but I've found, especially for the last two years, that I'm always on eggshells around him. When he wants his space I do give it to him, but I'm afraid to even text him in that time incase it annoys him.
I feel like I can't talk to him about all the things that are wrong in our relationship because he won't want to have that conversation.
When we go through rough patches, it's like I'm the only one fighting for us.
Like I said, we've broken up a few times in the past, but everytime I end things with him, he won't leave me alone.
I've kind of reached the point where, I know I'm always going to care about him way more than he cares about me, and nothing between us is ever going to change.

I am going to end things for good this week, I just need a way to say that I'm always going to have feelings for him without sounding patronising, and way to end it that let's him know not to come after me this time?

38

Most Helpful Guy

• You like him and it doesn't sound like he's abusing you. If isn't broken, don't fix it. He didn't break anything why should he fix it? I mean relationships aren't all the same and you get different out comes depending on what type of person you're attracted to or the person you choose to be with. It sounds like you're very emotional right now and you just need look at good things he brings to your relationship. If you need someone to talk to, why don't you just throw a guy in the friend zone and dump your emotional baggage onto him or get a therapist?

• I'm not asking him fix anything. I'm not asking for anything from him. Genuinely.

I don't need a therapist to know that my relationship is over.
      It should have been over 2 years ago.

• @Napoli Alright. I hope you find what you looking for in the future.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is not a relationship you are living with him. Why do you torture yourself? You deserve better than an eggshell lol you are not his shrink. He needs to grow up and handle his problems.
    Finish it for real. A relationship should make you feel happy satisfied. Find a guy who make you live all these. There are those guys fortunately. If you really want to finish, you will. You know it.

• We don't live together. We're basically friends with benefits at this point.
      I know I'm not his shrink, but at the same time, he's been throught a lot and he's dealing with a lot. I'm not making excuses, but I do feel hugely protective towards him. Like I want to make sure he's ok.
      I know what you mean, I just feel like I've got nothing left.

• Thank you, lovely xx

I understand what you are saying, but I am not trying to make him miss me. I do just want to be done with it this time, you know? I wouldn't have the energy to go through this again xx

• You are welcome. good luck