Can you be friends with your ex if you parted on good terms?

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It's a little weird. My ex of 5 years and I are on good terms, and we still have some of the same mutual friends. We talk once in awhile, but I definitely wouldn't want to be close friends with her, friends at a distance is okay. It just can get super awkward otherwise.

0|0
    0|0
    • Also we have easy blackmail on each other, so remaining on good terms and not doing anything to screw that up is probably best

• YES

Two months ago, i was at a metal gig, and my ex was there too,.. go figure, lol.

When she saw me, she waved at me, i literally had to wait 1min to think about if i should wave back, because you know, i`m still upset and what not. We hadn`t had contact for 3 years. Though she was the one that cheated, she kept on trying to make things good again, and i kept on insisting and ignoring her because i really didn`t want anything to do with her anymore

But back to the metal gig. So after thinking it true whether i should wave back or not, i ultimately ended up waving back anyways because what the heck, right. I mean its been 3 years, time to let it go. So not only did she waved, but she then approached me. I`m now thinking to myself; wtf does this girl think she`s doing!! lol

So when she finally approached me, guess what we were doing?
    TALKING.
    Yes, that`s right, we were literally just talking having conversations like nothing happened, lol.
    But her lill brother was with her, and he likes me, so i guess that kinda helped overshadow and make things less awkward :)

So yes, you can be friends with your ex. It depends on you, and your ex.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Even if parted on good terms or bad terms... there has to be distance/space.. i think its best not to be too close as friends cause trouble can occur as a wedge and both of you may either ignore it or may not see it till its too late... it can be rather unsettling if too much time and communication is invested in an “ex” rather than the partner they or you are trying to work the hardest with and isn’t fair on both sides.. This will cause problems not only for the person, but can cause maybe even long term problems and or fights between each of them including the ex.. i’d say in both parts, realistically, remembering your standards and place on things can help both. It can be unhealthy if otherwise...

0|0
    0|0
  • This really depends on the individual so I won't say it's impossible, I'm sure there are some people out there who can make it work. Speaking for myself though, I wouldn't want to remain friends with an ex. I don't like drama so I would be glad to end things on good terms but that doesn't mean I would want to stay in his life as friends. I just think it's so much easier to move on when it's a clean break and we both go our separate ways.

Staying friends would probably just make things complicated and make it harder to move on completely. I also wouldn't want my next partner to feel uncomfortable about me still being friends with an ex. So ultimately, I just prefer to cut contact and move on with my life.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 63

• Yes you can. it takes maturity to realize that people grow in different directions and sometimes that means incompatibility. however just because you are unable to cohabitate doesn't mean that your former signifigant other who should know you better than most can't be a powerfull friend and ally.

0|1
    0|0
  • Some people can, some people can. You definitely want to make sure that you're not trying to just tell yourself that you can handle it so that you can still hang around them. Additionally, even if YOU can handle it, THEY might not. So there's definitely a lot to consider.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Definitely not if you still have true feelings for them. May be you don't want to see her guilty or hurt. This is one of the main reasons why I stay away from her. I can't see her hurt any day. I still love her but in silence. Can't just be dishonest by being like a friend. That's dishonest to both her and the friendship.

0|0
    0|0
  • This one is different for every individual I would say no because when I start dating someone and get a relationship from it I'm looking for a forever love and it hurts to much to see your ex with another enough to think about ending it all

0|0
    0|0
  • It really only depends on the breakup. For smaller relationships it can always be scope for friendship but long ones end up bad. So I think it's the dynamic of the two and not a certain thing that decides this...

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe but why would you want to? I guess if you have mutual friends and you both end up with other people. If that's not the case, better for a clean break with no more contact.

0|0
    0|0
  • No cuz I won't like to deal with "awkwardness" and I am not saying we will be enemies. We will be friends but not that close ones cuz you know the bed thing and her meeting her B. F.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course. In fact, if it was a fiod relationship how can you not be?

1|0
    0|0
  • Even if you parted on good terms the break up was still most likely incredibly painful. If both of you have had enough time then yeah, i'd say it's possible.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t think you should because you might start to hold those feeling and it will only turn into suffering so you shouldn’t be friends with them I’ve tried doesn’t work

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 32

• No. Only way it can actually work is if and only if both people lost romantic feelings for one another. And 99% of the time someone or both will still have it. It's a recipe for disaster. Better just wish each other luck and go your separate ways.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably. Why. Not? There’s a reason you liked your ex in the first place.
    As long as the break up was just because you lost feelings or weren’t compatible, there’s no reason you can’t be friends. It’d be a different story if they cheated on you, however.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never been in a relationship myself, but i've seen friends who've kept a good friendship with their ex's. It really comes down to whether you want to get back together with them. Maybe this break will help you realize how much you guys wanna get back together, or you'll realize that you can't stay friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends. I don't think it's good idea to be friends with him when you're still not over him. You might just end up getting back with him which isn't good if that's not what you wanted. Now if you're over him completely, I guess it'll be fine then :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think if I truly didn’t have any feelings left for him, then yea, I could. Especially since we would have split on good terms and with mutual respect for each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, definitely. I always try to end up on good terms with everyone - friends or partners. If you really try, you can always stay friends, but not necessarily close ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am (we share a child together) and he is getting married to a wonderful woman and step mum to our boy this weekend. I’m really happy for him and never wish anything bad to happen to him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm on good terms with a few exes, but that might also be because of the fact that we keep casual sex on the table.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I could, as long as it was an amicable break up.
    But I personally would need to not be around or speak with them for a while before I could.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I'm sure but for me. I'd pepper spray my ex if I saw him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes