Can you be friends with your ex if you parted on good terms?

3465

Most Helpful Guys

• It's a little weird. My ex of 5 years and I are on good terms, and we still have some of the same mutual friends. We talk once in awhile, but I definitely wouldn't want to be close friends with her, friends at a distance is okay. It just can get super awkward otherwise.

• Also we have easy blackmail on each other, so remaining on good terms and not doing anything to screw that up is probably best

• YES

Two months ago, i was at a metal gig, and my ex was there too,.. go figure, lol.

When she saw me, she waved at me, i literally had to wait 1min to think about if i should wave back, because you know, i`m still upset and what not. We hadn`t had contact for 3 years. Though she was the one that cheated, she kept on trying to make things good again, and i kept on insisting and ignoring her because i really didn`t want anything to do with her anymore

But back to the metal gig. So after thinking it true whether i should wave back or not, i ultimately ended up waving back anyways because what the heck, right. I mean its been 3 years, time to let it go. So not only did she waved, but she then approached me. I`m now thinking to myself; wtf does this girl think she`s doing!! lol

So when she finally approached me, guess what we were doing?
    TALKING.
    Yes, that`s right, we were literally just talking having conversations like nothing happened, lol.
    But her lill brother was with her, and he likes me, so i guess that kinda helped overshadow and make things less awkward :)

So yes, you can be friends with your ex. It depends on you, and your ex.

Most Helpful Girls

• Even if parted on good terms or bad terms... there has to be distance/space.. i think its best not to be too close as friends cause trouble can occur as a wedge and both of you may either ignore it or may not see it till its too late... it can be rather unsettling if too much time and communication is invested in an “ex” rather than the partner they or you are trying to work the hardest with and isn’t fair on both sides.. This will cause problems not only for the person, but can cause maybe even long term problems and or fights between each of them including the ex.. i’d say in both parts, realistically, remembering your standards and place on things can help both. It can be unhealthy if otherwise...

• This really depends on the individual so I won't say it's impossible, I'm sure there are some people out there who can make it work. Speaking for myself though, I wouldn't want to remain friends with an ex. I don't like drama so I would be glad to end things on good terms but that doesn't mean I would want to stay in his life as friends. I just think it's so much easier to move on when it's a clean break and we both go our separate ways.

Staying friends would probably just make things complicated and make it harder to move on completely. I also wouldn't want my next partner to feel uncomfortable about me still being friends with an ex. So ultimately, I just prefer to cut contact and move on with my life.