Should I breakup with my boyfriend because his mom doesn't like me?

I met my boyfriend a year ago online. He is my first boyfriend and I'm 25. I am shy so I didn't talk too much with his parents. He told me that his mom doesn't like me and asked he to break up with me. He did not breakup with me but I feel angry and I am considering breakup with my boyfriend

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• If he doesn't defend you of those attacks you should.
    You deserve a man who likes and respect you, if his mum attacks you he must be the one who mark the limits.
    I once listened about a guy who was with a family, and the dad said he was not enough man for his little girl.
    He patiently stand all the dinner, and after talked with his girlfriend:
    I see three options here, you talk with your father, I talk with your father, we are over, choose one.

I think you are like this guy, and think that your choices aren't very different

3|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I will answer in parts:

1. "I met my boyfriend a year ago online. He is my first boyfriend and I'm 25. I am shy so I didn't talk too much with his parents.."

Okay, so that means you have been in a relationship with your boyfriend for 1 year now. It's fine if you are shy and you don't talk too much.

Why do you care so much about getting his mom's approval for your relationship? it it that important to you so much so that you need it for your relationship to proceed ahead?

If you are giving so much importance to this then honestly don't see any logic or rational behind this thinking. Why? that is because what is important is whether you love your boyfriend or not, what is important is if your boyfriend truly loves you or not and if this love is strong then it doesn't matter. nobody can come in between this.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong if you want your boyfriend's mom to like you and accept you, of course it feels good to be accepted and loved by your boyfriend's family members but don't make it your mission of your life. If they love and accept you, then be happy, if not it is fine. You should be who you are and what you are.

Secondly, there is a solution to every problem if all the people involved are willing to work towards a solution, hence it is only possible for you to gain the consent and likeness of his mom only if she is a reasonable person, someone who can be convinced with proper reasons. If she is like a dictator, like a hitler. Then it will be a waste of time even to try.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter what his mom wants your boyfriend to do, you are 27( as per your profile), I am assuming that your boyfriend must be of your age or at least a little older to you, so as long as he doesn't give in to his mom's demand of break up you shouldn't have any problems.

Let her say anything to her son, he should be a man and should stand up to her. As long as he does this, there is no problem.

2. "He told me that his mom doesn't like me and asked he to break up with me. He did not breakup with me but I feel angry and I am considering breakup with my boyfriend"

Come on!. Please don't do that. That will be the biggest mistake you will make. You are missing the whole point here, his mom told him to break up with you, but you said yourself that he did not break up with you, right? Doesn't that indicate that you mean more to him that his mom? Doesn't that indicate that he chose you over his mom?

cont...

1|0
    0|0
    • cont...

Doesn't that indicate that he is standing up for what he wants in his life? Surely it is a good thing. I don't see any logic or rationale or justification behind you being angry with your boyfriend. In fact honestly speaking you are very fortunate to have a boyfriend like that.

My suggestion as a guy is please don't break up with him. This is a test of your love, if you break up with him , you will allow his mom to win because that is exactly what his mom wants, she wants him to break up with you but it doesn't matter if you break up with him either because either way her objective would be achieved. Hence why do want to give her that victory?

Hence think about this and make the right decision.

Most Helpful Girls

• Understand, I'm such a sensitive person in real life that I probably would. Anyway, sounds like your boyfriend is a mama's boy, no offense. It's either her way or the highway and what she says goes and because he loves his mother so much, he's willing to do anything to please her.

Now, a man loving his mother a great thing and should be type of man every woman should get (unless their bad history between etc.) But not the kind that is kinda a push over. He's never going to be happy if he's always worried what his mother thinks.

So if I were you, I would give it another chance and try to prove yourself to her. If she still don't like you then that's her problem, if he can't be with you because of that then tell him goodbye.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are way over 21 and I am sure he is even older or a tad younger. Two adults. Unless he is living under her roof, having to follow her orders, tell him that you are not going to bother with her until she shows more respect. Then, tell him to make a choice where you fit in somewhere. Or you are long gone.

0|0
    0|0
    • I hear your anger bit this is not the @Goddess_GaG I know.

Guess what? Mommy and Daddy don't have a say. at least you know where they stand

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 51

• First of all u fix a meeting on a special occasion take few gifts for his parents like pics of god.. etc... and that tym u look like in new trend not in routine looks.. in this meeting when u come back from there.. just ask few questn... from both mom and dad.
    1.. From birth to marriage or from marriage to still today u both r complete person... do you think creator make u complete u have no any wish or dream?

2. First you. Ask from. his mom--hold her hand soflty.. and ask I m also a women u may be I have no exoerinced like your experience. but I know only.. true love always from heart.. I will keep in mind like my family yours family's reputation always will be first presence...

U also ask a questn m I not beautiful.. or m I uneducated.. m I criminal? M I handicaped? I love ur son.. because u r too good ur lookafter is good.. I feel your son is best for me.. because our understanding is perfect... we can easily found what we want from others.. what should be do in any situation. . u clearly tell may be I m shy person.. not like others.. but its mean not I m uneducated I believe in this. who is important of our families 's respect.. and how we can live together emotinaly attached I believe and my whole efforts and my thinking in this...
    U pls ask. a questn from. mom with a smile...

When. U get married and still u. u never fight with father of his silly mistake... or he not say sorry to u when he do mistake... u told again in whole universe no a single complete... pls if u think I m not complete according u... u say to mom... I agree... and told her... when I become ur daughter in law.. I will learn all method from u what u want or expect from. me... pls here u ask clearly pls tell me reason for why u feel I m not suitable for ur son... give her a small hug.. and move from her...

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would you punish your boyfriend for his mom not liking you? You would only justify his mother. This is not a sensible reaction, at all.

3|2
    0|0
  • i'd only break up with him if her feelings regarding you dictate how he treats you. it doesn't sound like that's the case so i would not break up with.

i would make an effort to find out her objections to you and see if you can in time address them and change her mind

0|0
    0|0
  • First off he isn't a good guy for you period if he is telling you his mom doesn't like you , if he really liked you he would of stood up for you to his mom , by him not just shows that you're looking for a rude awakening if you stay with this loser , a guy that loves his girl would protect her and fight for her , it sounds like this guy is too much of a coward that will listen to what mommy tells him to do his whole life , save yourself the misery and dump his ass

0|0
    1|1
  • Isn't the guy's mother not supposed to like the girlfriend? I'd say try to spend some time with her and talk to her, see why she doesn't like you. If that doesn't work, and you're very serious with him, tell her that she'll have to deal with it one way or another.

0|0
    1|0
  • Their parents shouldn't be a reason for you to break up. Ask yourself, do you really love this guy and want to keep him? That'll be your answer.
    It might get awkward around their parents, but they won't always be there. Only you and him matter.

1|1
    0|0
  • If you guys get married, she becomes your mother too. Do you want her as your mom? The answer to that question, is the answer to your question

0|0
    0|0
  • Neah not really... fuck his mom... usually mothers don't like girlfriends it is somekind of subconscious jealousy and they never consider girlfriends enough... they really forget it is not about them but their son to be happy

0|0
    0|0
  • While it's important for his parents to have a good opinion of you, it shouldn't be why you consider breaking up with someone. Chances are if he's your first boyfriend, then it might not go anywhere anyway. That's not the case for everyone, but it's something to consider. Maybe his mom just needs to get to know you better. Unless you did something outrageous when making a first impression, I'm sure she just needs to know that you're a good person and right for her son.

0|0
    0|0
  • You shouldn't judge someone by the way their parents are. Just because his mom doesn't have a liking for you, doesn't mean you need to have a neutral feeling towards her. Don't get mad at your boyfriend for what she says. Kill her with kindness. An eye for an eye can make your world go blind. Stay strong

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, it’s just going to get worse as the relationship goes on. And both of you will end up resenting each other at the end of it. But if you think he’s worth it, then I wouldn’t take to much of what she says thinks to heart

0|0
    0|0
  • No, try to get her to like you if you really like him. It's you're guy's relationship, not hers, but his mother's approval is important if you want a serious relationship

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol are you dating him or his mom? If he likes you and you like him who cares what anyone else thinks? Think about you and him. No one elses opinion matters. Dont end something because of what a third party thinks

0|0
    0|0
  • well his mom told him to break up with you and he said no and is still with you isn't he, so then why would you break up with him. fuck what his mom says the only people who matter here are you and him and you two like eachother so stay together.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't. She is not as important as your relationship. You started dating him because you liked him. Not because you liked his mother.

0|1
    0|0
  • Try convincing his mother but if she doesn't Agree Breakup Cause No Matter What Parents are More Important

1|0
    0|0
  • No, but he should never put you between two. Both has to be seperated, if he ever chooses one over you, its his problem to not balance it.

0|0
    0|0
  • The mum rules the planet, MumRa!!! MuahahahahAHAHAH

He-man dies 😭😭😭🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪 She-Ra now has to love MumRa
    😾 💓🤱🏼

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't give up without a fight. Try as much as possible to convince his parents that you really are a genuine nice girl. If nothing else is working, then you probably should move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • You know what? You should break up with him.

Frankly if I knew my girlfriend was thinking about dumping me because my mom didn’t like her, I’d end the relationship right there.

Who are you dating him or his mom, and more importantly why do you give a flying f*ck what she thinks of you? Do you require her approval that much? If so you should date her then.

You should break up with him because the way your acting he deserves a girlfriend that loves him and isn’t going to consider breaking up with him because his mommy doesn’t like you.

1|0
    1|0
    • Tone it down hot shot. This person has feelings just like you so please don't take your frustrations out on her. Not cool. But I agree with you by not caring what his family thinks. When I first started out dating, I cared because that was the entire purpose of meeting his family. To make a good first impression. Remember them days? But, when you get older it's like who cares, I don't even like my own family, please don't meet them lol. I say enjoy the relationship and if you aren't happy then dump him. Your happiness is the only thing that matters!

• Show All
    • I respect your perspective. I completely agree that loyalty is important. I'd like to apologize for my negative remark. But I am curious, have you been through hardships like this before?

• Apology accepted.

I’ve dealt with a few women who were less than loyal. Not like this situation though.

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 23

• Hell no!! Its about what he thinks and feels not her or anyone else. Why you would even contemplate this I can't fathom lol.

0|2
    0|0
  • Just curious... why does your age say 27? Also, you two are grown adults. Who cares what his mother thinks? He obviously chose you. Don’t waste a good thing.

1|1
    0|0
  • Ask yourself if you are going to be happy and confident without your boyfriend? i mean why should you break up with your boyfriend because of someone, put your happinesson the first place! and would you want to see your boyfriend dating with someone else?

0|0
    0|0
  • Give him a bit of time. If he doesn't defend you when his mum attacks, you have every right to leave.

1|0
    1|0
    • In the meantime try to build a relationship with his mum if possible or get into the depth of things

• Leave him. It will get worse as time goes. She'll tell him stuff and cause problems in relationship.

0|0
    1|0
  • I wouldn’t let it be the deciding factor. If you are having other doubts, then I would look at them altogether and decide. If you haven’t talked much with his parents, I would try to grow on them. Prove to them that you are just shy but a good person and a person their son should date. It also proves that he must really like you if his mom won’t change his feelings. However, it is truly up to you if you want to break up, I wouldn’t do it on angry feelings though, I would think about it for a little bit

0|0
    0|0
  • No! You're in a relationship with your boyfriend; not his mom!

1|1
    0|0
  • No that’s the reason why half of relationship doesn’t work out

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally that would bother me a lot but try and change it try to make her like you and if it doesn’t work then fuck it you should still be with him

0|0
    0|0
  • Well he didn’t listen to her so he values you more. You should make her like you. You don’t have to give up instantly.

0|0
    0|0
  • It will get worst if she doesn't like you. I would leave him

0|0
    0|0
  • Nono, if it means something to you, don't. It is YOUR life, YOUR relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • No of course not if you like him nobody should get in the way

0|0
    0|0
  • If he loves you and you love him its all good his mom has nothing to do with your lovelife.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no. Everyone goes through this. She just wants the best for her son. Stay patient.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think you shouldn't care too much about his mothers opinion of you two going out

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you dating him in real life?

0|0
    0|0
  • No way. Don't let his mom choose for him

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to meet her and leave a good impression

0|0
    0|0
  • Why are you angry?