Will he come back to me someday?

Here's the deal. Boyfriend and I broke up after 4 years. Before we were together, he went through a bad divorce. He lost EVERYTHING! When I first met him he was drinking all the time, depressed, and then unemployed. He quit drinking, be got mentally stable, He found a job and things we're looking up for a little while. Then we both became unhappy with the situation we were in. He broke up with me saying that he was unhappy with who he was as a man. He went from having a house, being financially stable, and hobbies to living paycheck - paycheck, living in his mom's condo, and not knowing who he was anymore. I completely understand that. He wants to be alone for a long time. He's never been alone ever in his life and knows he's got to stand on his own two feet. But he says that when the time comes and he's ready to date someone again he "hopes it will be me" and that I'll "be the first woman he thinks of." He "wants to fall in love with me again."
So my question is... Does this mean he still wants a future with me still and just needs me to back off and leave him alone? I'm going to focus on myself for now. I'm fine and doing okay but at the end of the day, when I'm laying down for bed, he's still the man I want beside me. Is there a future for us someday?
Will he come back to me someday?
1
1