Have you ever kept an ex’s possession well after the break up as a momento or for sentimental value? (I. e. a jacket, a book, a photograph, etc.)?

Materialism dictates that we place sentimental value on objects, projecting our thoughts and feelings into an inanimate shell to form representation. Ex’s hold that special place in our lives, chosen but not forgotten, lovers once lost. Is it unhealthy to hold onto our pasts? Or do fond memories serve a purpose in the present?

Personally, I’ve only kept 1 item from 2 of my ex’s. I have the favourite book of my most recent ex (gifted to me), and a jacket (his embroidered jacket) from my first and so far only love. For me these items bring great comfort because I’ve discarded all other traces of my ex’s down to every last photograph. It’s kind of like I’m holding onto the idea of who the person was, the object is an imprint of who they were when I knew them... because now they’re just a stranger.

Obviously I’m romanticising the crap out of this, I’m just feeling moody tonight and figured I’d throw it out there.
Yes, I keep a piece of every ex
Yes, but only if the ex was special to me
Yes, for reasons unknown
Vote C
No
Vote D
GirlGuy
0
4