Ex messaged me, why?

Many months ago, I met this really cute girl whom I liked a lot. We kept messaging each other and one day we went to watch a movie, it was fun and I enjoyed her company, and I could tell she did too. We kept messaging and I could notice that each time I ask her out again she would find an excuse to not to go. Then, it was back to school, 2 months passed and she messaged me on my phone at 11pm saying that she's really sorry but she liked me too much and as we lived far from each other and went to different schools and it would be hard for it to work between us. I kept insisting that it's not really a problem and it could be avoided, but she wouldn't listen. She stopped answering my texts.
Today, she messaged me asking about what to do when her cats don't want to eat anything, I simply answered. We kept talking for a while and then she started explaining how she really didn't think it would work and it would be difficult for her. I just said that we could work it out, we could even stay as close friends, then I said I don't want to discuss it, so I just changed the subject
Ex messaged me, why?
1
1