How to get over an ex?

So I just got out of a very weird and complicated "relationship" of 6 years to someone who cheated on me again. And I still have really strong feelings and love my ex, but I'm trying to figure out how to get over him. Is there anyway to make these feelings I have for him go away?
Updates:
And for everyone telling me to have sex or start dating someone else that's not me. I don't sleep around. My ex was basically the first guy I slept with. And I don't wanna get in a relationship with a girl or guy when I would rather be with someone else. That wouldn't be fair to the guy or girl

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Get out, hang out with friends, start a new hobby, get a job, get 2 jobs, meet new people. Literally fill your life with a purpose or just make it busy so you don't even think about your ex. That's the best thing you can do right now.

1|0
    0|0
    • I have been trying 2 stay busy by reading, working more and drawing all day but I have little things I do that end up making me think about him and it just sucks when that happens

• Show All
    • Okay, ask yourself this. Why would you want to be with him again? Is it worth giving up your own happiness?

• Because I love him and he makes me happy when we're 2gether... only time he doesn't is when he decided 2 b a dick

• You never really get over it. You just learn how to live with it as time goes on.

A wife separated from her husband by war, could still run off and be with her first husband even if she is remarried to a new guy, but the long lost husband returns from war alive, she thought he was dead and moved on, but when she sees him again the feelings never went away and she loves him as much as the day she met him

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, only time!! This is coming from experience, I also left a man I loved after 7 years and a small child. Hardest thing I ever did, and it hurt so bad, I cried everyday for weeks, lost a bunch of work, was beyond stressed and loaded with anxiety. Now almost 2 years later, I know it was he best decision and I can’t even picture myself with him anymore, nor do I love or miss him. It gets easier with time, I promise. Stay strong and work on you, learn to love you and learn about yourself, so much can change in a person especially after such a long term relationship. I’m nothing like the woman I was and I am so ok with being on my own and being single rather in a relationship full of resentment and cheating from him. He lost, not me.

0|0
    1|0
    • But this has happened b4 and we didn't talk 4 a whole year. And during that time I thought of him every day... im scared that's gonna b how it is now

• That’s life my dear, there is no certainty. Your young and you will change so much as an adult, especially the next 10 years. I was with my ex from 24-31, and I’m nothing like the woman I was when I met to who I am, and I can’t even see being with anyone like him again. Just because you felt that way before doesn’t mean you will again. Yes you’ll be raw from the pain for awhile but there’s so much life out there and so many people to meet.

• Write a list of the negative thing on your phone. Look and see if he could ever have a reasonable place and future in your life. Likely not. So realize writing or talking with him is only gonna extend this past relationship. Then choose what changes or things you want to do and focus on those. Work on yourself and do thing like hang with friends or see a movie. You can still think of him or your past. I was inspired to take up ceramics and embroidery because of an ex with a strong passion for p&p and live roleplaying

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 53

• The fastest way to get over someone you're deeply in love is to find someone else to fall in love with.

The danger in that of course is using a new guy to bounce back from the ex-. Might help you but hurts him.

1|1
    3|0
    • Yeah but the problem is i don't want another guy

• Show All
    • He wanted 2 have sex with me but he wanted 2 wait because of me being abused as a kid and he didn't want me 2 think I was just sex 2 him. And he was telling me he lived me those 4 years as well so I wasn't friend zoned

• And I'm not sabotaging his relationship either. So don't make assumptions on stuff u know nothing about

• I know it is tough. Loving a person who don't love you back. The best way to overcome this situation is do all the activities you love and try to go out with your friends and family

1|0
    0|0
    • The problem is he keeps claiming he cares a shit ton about me and just wants me happy

• 1. Quickest way is fall in love with someone else. It's cruel I know it's maybe hurts. But if U can find someone who very cares about u love u then u can love him back.

2. Spending your time in close friends n family.

3. Focus on work , career , goal , dreams.

1|0
    1|0
  • Well nowadays... people actually are doing like a hook up straight after a break up. To get over their ex. Not sure you're into that though...

1|0
    0|0
    • Well I keep myself occupy with work and delete my contact with the person. Including Facebook, phone and email

• I sort had a relationship if you count one-sided as a relationship. It was my first time with a woman.

• You don't. My recent ex and I share a great moment. Those will always be memories that no one can ever take away. However, surround yourself with positive people and know that a guy is wanting you. Find ways how you can make yourself better. For me, it was completely her fault. However, I need to learn for myself that I am okay. I learn what I am happy about and learn what I can improve. Reflecting on yourself helps you know what you are looking for in the next relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • You block his but and work on yourself through the pain. the only thing that will make that pain slowly go away is time. There is no quick cure sadly.

0|0
    0|0
  • The quickest way is to find someone else. The only problem with that it is this vicious cycle that people put themselves through. They jump from one relationship to the next to feel happy about themselves but it is the quickest way.

0|0
    0|0
  • So your relationship started when you were 12? And since then he cheated multiple times on you?

Oh boi... that doesn't sound like a serious relationship at all. Move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Think of it this way... you deserve better why have feelings for someone who obviously thought you werent enough for him? Don't get stuck on your ex please because it will ruin you from other potential relationships if you constantly think about him

0|0
    0|0
    • Well it has for many years already. I literally had a ton of guys like me and turned them all away for my ex who apparently has no problem cheating

• Show All
    • I sent you a request I can't send you private messages because I'm not a high enough level yet but I thought maybe someone whos willing to help give advices and chat might help (:

• Focus on other aspects of your life. Seek therapy, either professionally or from friends or family. The rest is just time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Leave him and move on, what keeps u more attached to your ex is the sexual relationship, so enjoy party with friends and enjoy more time with family and stay with it work

0|0
    0|0
  • It happens with me when u was in college... Then friends suggested me to have another relationship... I go for it... And forgot my ex... Then after that breakup doesn't hurt you more...

0|0
    0|0
  • I would love to no... its been 20 years and i still think about my one true real love i dont think we stop loveng that person Ascot is we move forward with our lifes

0|0
    0|0
  • Accept that your ex was really bad for you and now you are better off.

0|0
    0|0
  • Memory's are exciting and beautiful especially the good ones. ... you need to find someone else to make memories to enjoy your new life

1|0
    0|0
  • Just focus on your career. God have another plan for you.

😊😊😊😊😊

1|1
    0|0
  • Force yourself to move forward and it will fade away the less you think about him also get rid of anything that reminds you of him

0|0
    0|0
  • Time. Time heals all. But it's going to take quite a while.

Heal emotionally first, then move on to someone bigger and better

0|0
    0|0
  • How about trying to find true love. I mean find the man of your dreams. One who won't cheat on you and will bring you flowers every day

0|0
    0|0
  • I know this fealing... You can go to a psychologist and talk or you can seek so fast as you can a new and good partner

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to be numb to the pain. You have to bear through everything even if that means crying for days on end

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have or can get a picture of the woman (or women) he cheated with, keep it with you to remind yourself that's why you are no longer together.

0|0
    0|0
  • They'll fade over time. They'll fade faster if you have a rebound, or have more sex with other people, or if you just wait things out

0|0
    0|0
  • Next time he's home, climb on his roof. Bam, your over him.

0|0
    1|1
  • Yes, just turn your feelings off. Can't girls do that?

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm. The best to do is to make your mind away from him. That is at least good.

0|0
    0|0
  • Time time heals all wounds but not scars the scars will remain.
    Scars= memories

0|0
    0|0
  • Then you're going to have to do what you can do and time is going thing that would do that

0|0
    0|0
  • My dear the only best way to get over him, is to get a new guy to love , with all his heart.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't force your feelings to disappear especially after 6 years of them being in your life. Time will heal your wounds, scars will remain forever. Everyone heals differently. Some move right on to someone else, others need to stay single for a while and concentrate on themselves. Just have to determine what's best for you. However if you're still in love with him, I would wait until you're certain that those feleings are completely gone before you get into a relationship with someone else. It's ok to date around and be seeing someone, just don't lead them on. And the last thing any guy wants to be is a rebound, or hear that you're not over your ex. So take it slow and do what you gotta do to keep your mind off of him, while slowly remembering what happened and eventually letting it all go.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Miss him, miss him all you want!

The void that is created when a relationship dies, the vacum that a person leaves when they leave our life is something that cannot be replaced.

Missing him is very natural, no matter how much time has passed by.

There are always things, places, words, incidents and so much more that will time and again bring back his memories.

Its but natural to miss him, a person whom you spoke to everyday, a person who was your priority number one, a person who was always around to look out for you, a person who was the shoulder you cried on, a person who was the face that made you smile and forget all your worries.

But the reality is that it “WAS”

The present may seem painful sometimes even unbearable without him, the future may or may not bring the same emotions and intensity back.

But him, he was “PAST”

So, miss him, miss him with all your heart whenever you feel like, because there was a time you loved him and may be a piece of you still does.

Never go back.

Stop watering a dead plant.

Look ahead, with your head held high.

This should make you emotionally stronger.

Be brave enough to say Goodbye and life may reward you with a new Hello!

1|0
    0|0
  • Realise that he doesn’t love you that much if he cheated on you, that holding onto a relationship or wanting to be in that relationship still is not beneficial to you. Try to not want to be somewhere you aren’t wanted or shouldn’t want to be. It just takes time, let your emotions take it’s due course without dwelling on them.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. You look about 13 you’ll get over it

2. No way in hell are you in a 6 year long relationship

3. You’ll get over him in a few days

0|0
    1|0
  • And you have every right to have feelings towards your ex. you too were together for 6 years. the best thing I can tell you is to not give him anymore chances , go to the gym, get occupied with college, work, and bettering yourself. Make yourself #1

0|1
    0|0
  • If you are sad, cry it out.. Then over the weeks you will find yourself probably alittle angry, so be angry and then u will realize that you deserve better and life will be so much better from there. But it takes time

0|0
    0|0
  • Ask yourself...
    Did he treat you right? Did you deserved to be cheated on?

You deserve better... know your selfworth. Breaking up isn't easy.
    Give yourself some time, but keep in mind, you don't want that kind of relationship again.🌼

1|0
    1|0
  • Block him on everything, try not to see him-the less to see him, the easier you'll get over him, be around friends, sit down and think, remember your worth, remember the strong woman that you are and when the time is right, start flirting

0|0
    0|0
  • I say that you have to find something to do. Take your mind off things until your ready for another relationship. And trust me. Breakups happen. It hurts, but you have to get over it

0|0
    1|0
  • Doubtful. I still deal with feelings from years ago. They never fully go away

1|0
    0|0
  • A Threesome with Ben and Jerry.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dont be harsh on urself. It takes time. I took almost a year to get over.
    Cutting off contact irl and online is the main key. No "lets just be friend" at least until you are over.
    Go for walks outside, do the shopping and keep busy. Go out with your friends.

Do NOT look immediately for other relationship. Give yourself time and let it come naturally rather than forced. You are young and have enough time to date later.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes