How to get over an ex?

So I just got out of a very weird and complicated "relationship" of 6 years to someone who cheated on me again. And I still have really strong feelings and love my ex, but I'm trying to figure out how to get over him. Is there anyway to make these feelings I have for him go away?
And for everyone telling me to have sex or start dating someone else that's not me. I don't sleep around. My ex was basically the first guy I slept with. And I don't wanna get in a relationship with a girl or guy when I would rather be with someone else. That wouldn't be fair to the guy or girl

1355

Most Helpful Guys

• Get out, hang out with friends, start a new hobby, get a job, get 2 jobs, meet new people. Literally fill your life with a purpose or just make it busy so you don't even think about your ex. That's the best thing you can do right now.

• I have been trying 2 stay busy by reading, working more and drawing all day but I have little things I do that end up making me think about him and it just sucks when that happens

• Okay, ask yourself this. Why would you want to be with him again? Is it worth giving up your own happiness?

• Because I love him and he makes me happy when we're 2gether... only time he doesn't is when he decided 2 b a dick

• You never really get over it. You just learn how to live with it as time goes on.

A wife separated from her husband by war, could still run off and be with her first husband even if she is remarried to a new guy, but the long lost husband returns from war alive, she thought he was dead and moved on, but when she sees him again the feelings never went away and she loves him as much as the day she met him

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, only time!! This is coming from experience, I also left a man I loved after 7 years and a small child. Hardest thing I ever did, and it hurt so bad, I cried everyday for weeks, lost a bunch of work, was beyond stressed and loaded with anxiety. Now almost 2 years later, I know it was he best decision and I can’t even picture myself with him anymore, nor do I love or miss him. It gets easier with time, I promise. Stay strong and work on you, learn to love you and learn about yourself, so much can change in a person especially after such a long term relationship. I’m nothing like the woman I was and I am so ok with being on my own and being single rather in a relationship full of resentment and cheating from him. He lost, not me.

• But this has happened b4 and we didn't talk 4 a whole year. And during that time I thought of him every day... im scared that's gonna b how it is now

• That’s life my dear, there is no certainty. Your young and you will change so much as an adult, especially the next 10 years. I was with my ex from 24-31, and I’m nothing like the woman I was when I met to who I am, and I can’t even see being with anyone like him again. Just because you felt that way before doesn’t mean you will again. Yes you’ll be raw from the pain for awhile but there’s so much life out there and so many people to meet.

• Write a list of the negative thing on your phone. Look and see if he could ever have a reasonable place and future in your life. Likely not. So realize writing or talking with him is only gonna extend this past relationship. Then choose what changes or things you want to do and focus on those. Work on yourself and do thing like hang with friends or see a movie. You can still think of him or your past. I was inspired to take up ceramics and embroidery because of an ex with a strong passion for p&p and live roleplaying